Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Think Outside iPAQ 3800 Stowaway Keyboard Adaptor Review

http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/04/11/2751266

Before I went over to Germany for Mobius 2002, my friend Arne Hess asked me to find the iPAQ 3800 series Stowaway keyboard adaptor for him - apparently he couldn't get one shipped to Germany. Think Outside was kind enough to send a few my way, so Arne was quite pleased to get one of them. He's put together a review far more detailed than I could on this device - the truth is, it simply works. If you have a 3800 series iPAQ, and you have an older model Stowaway keyboard, this is the best $9.95 you'll ever spend. No fuss, it just plugs in and works. A big pat on the back for both Think Outside and Compaq for not forcing users to shell out another $99 for a new keyboard - this cheap adaptor does the trick nicely.

"One accessories for my Pocket PC I don't want miss anymore is my Stowaway foldable keyboard I used to use with my Compaq iPAQ H3600. Unfortunately Compaq changed the connector on the bottom for its new H3800 series, that I wasn't able for a longer time to use the keyboard with my H3870 iPAQ. Thanks to Jason Dunn and Think Outside, I got the new and required adapter last month, that I can use my keyboard with my H3870 again."

Old 04-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I too am glad it was a $10 fix, but it is a bit of a pain to put on, and just one more thing to carry. If the room is poorely lit, I rarely get the adapter on in less than 30 seconds. Sigh....

Old 04-11-2002, 05:08 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I too am glad it was a $10 fix, but it is a bit of a pain to put on, and just one more thing to carry. If the room is poorely lit, I rarely get the adapter on in less than 30 seconds. Sigh....
Sounds like old man Ed needs to get some glasses.... :lol: I kid, I kid!
Why not use the ever so bright Ipaq screen to aid in bringing the situation to light? ( no pun intended!)

Old 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
Sounds like old man Ed needs to get some glasses...
I've got to agree with Ed. The adapter works, but it usually takes me a few wiggles to get it to slide on. And I'm not even as old as Ed!

Old 04-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
I've got to agree with Ed. The adapter works, but it usually takes me a few wiggles to get it to slide on. And I'm not even as old as Ed!
No, not when you measure your age in human years and mine in dog years.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Al @Home
Neophyte
Default Get a FREE adapter from Targus for the Stowaway keyboard...

Contact Targus and get a FREE adapter and driver upgrade so you can use the original Stowaway keyboard with your new 38XX...

"Compatibility - 3100, 3600, 3700 series and now supports the 3800 series (the adapter (and drivers) required to support iPAQ series 3800 PDA�s are now available). The adapter is also available through Customer Service (1-877-4-Targus), reference part number 520-0015-001"

Old 04-12-2002, 02:14 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Here's another thing I was wondering when I got my adapter. If I happened to have a serial connector for a 3600 and cell phone, would this keyboard adapter allow me to use the connector with a 3800?

Old 04-12-2002, 05:40 AM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
Why not use the ever so bright Ipaq screen to aid in bringing the situation to light? ( no pun intended!)
You could then use it to guide ships away from the rocks when the lighthouse is broken.

Daniel

Old 04-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Get a FREE adapter from Targus for the Stowaway keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al @Home
Contact Targus and get a FREE adapter and driver upgrade so you can use the original Stowaway keyboard with your new 38XX...

"Compatibility - 3100, 3600, 3700 series and now supports the 3800 series (the adapter (and drivers) required to support iPAQ series 3800 PDA?s are now available). The adapter is also available through Customer Service (1-877-4-Targus), reference part number 520-0015-001"
Al pointed me to Targus for a free adapter yesterday, and I called that number. Their voice mail system sucks, and it wasn't easy to figure out which menu item to select. However, I chose one that sounded reasonable, and got a recording. I left my name and phone number, and the lady called me back, took my address, and said she'd send me the adapter in 2-3 business days.

Thanks for saving me $10 (or $17 with shipping), Al.

Steve

Old 04-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Here's another thing I was wondering when I got my adapter. If I happened to have a serial connector for a 3600 and cell phone, would this keyboard adapter allow me to use the connector with a 3800?
There's no reason it shouldn't that I've heard. Plus, even if you pay for it, it's still cheaper than the Gomadic adapter cable *and* has a power input to boot.

Steve