Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Compaq launches Symbian-based iPAQ

http://www.compaq.com/showroom/handhelds.html

I always thought this day would come, so this doesn't come as that much of a surprise. What DOES surprise me, however, is that I hadn't heard a peep about this until now, and didn't see it at CeBit: Compaq is launching an iPAQ running the Symbian OS. Details are sketchy at this point, but it appears to have the same body as the 3800 series (I could only find one photo), will have 64 megs of RAM, and most exciting of all: 400 mHz XScale processor!

There are a lot of things that I find tempting about the Symbian OS, so I'm really looking forward to evaluating one of these things. I guess I'd better go register Symbianthoughts.com! :-) I also have a larger version available. The URL above goes to the Compaq web page, where I'm told that by noon MST today they'll have the details about this device up. Kudos to Compaq for being so secretive about this!

UPDATE: April Fools Day! :-)

Old 04-01-2002, 05:16 PM
BigCanoe
Ponderer
Default Hmmm

*checks his wall calendar*

Ah, very nice looking device!

8)

Old 04-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Bacco
Intellectual

I'm glad I didn't buy my new PPC yet. I was about to buy my new one last week. Guess I'll stay with the 3600 till I read up on this new PPC.

Please conduct you evaluation and post your review ASAP.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2002, 05:20 PM
CUShane
Pupil

Hmm... I'm thinking this has to be April Fools!

Old 04-01-2002, 05:25 PM
Eos
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Eos
Default Don't want to spoil it...but

Guys just a hint...a certain date may definitely have something to do with this....Symbian, Compaq...LOL..save your pocket money yet.

Happy Easter to all of you, regadless of your faith. And may peace come on all of us !

Eos

Old 04-01-2002, 05:32 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUShane
Hmm... I'm thinking this has to be April Fools!
actually if anybody would like to run symbian on compaq ipaq's it would be very very easy to do it: the same processor is already there. actually I think that if symbian would succeed in smartphones, compaq would be first to put symbian into their ipas. compaq is not doing software so it is indifferent for compaq what they put inside.

but generally: symbian is meant to be operating system for smartphones, not for PDA...

PS. Volverine from X-men (avatar of Jason) was NOT Canadian, he was just "enhanced" in military complex in Canada...

Old 04-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

Wow! That's amazing, Jason! I was just on Compaq's website and they have some info about that model, if you go deeper. Apparently that is just the mid-range model.

It looks like they also have broken the mold of other PDAs and brought 640x480 16-bit color LCD in their high-end Symbian OS iPAQ 4000. It uses OLED-like technology to provide great battery life and high contrast. Compaq Czech Republic has apparently decided to post it before the rest of the world. That's where I got this info.

Hopefully they finally solved the dust issue! To be released Q2 2002 in the U.S. and Japan, if my "Europe's Languages" guide is anything to go by...

Old 04-01-2002, 05:59 PM
MBurch
Pupil

:wink:
Yeeaaahhhh, RRRIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHTTTT!

Old 04-01-2002, 06:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzr
PS. Volverine from X-men (avatar of Jason) was NOT Canadian, he was just "enhanced" in military complex in Canada...
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this, I truly appreciate it. Should I set up a forum for you to moderate called "Avatar Critiques"? :roll:

PS - It's "Wolverine", but I'm sure you already knew that. As I'm sure you already knew that Wolverine's true origin is still a mystery, so any speculation as to where he was born is just that, speculation. 8)

Old 04-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Tsk tsk, you guys aren't supposed to ruin the fun for a few hours yet! :-)