Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Priest Jams Cell Phones at Mass

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20020326_1149.html

What do you think about this? I can see both sides of this point - I think it's rude to not turn off your cell phone in church, movies, etc. But I also know that if I was someplace and I needed to get an emergency phone call, I'd want to get it. What about you?

"A priest fed up with mobile phones ringing during Mass has installed an electronic jammer to keep his flock in tune with God. The Rev. Francisco Llopis, pastor of the Church of the Defenseless, said the beeps, tunes and other digital noise emitted by today's omnipresent cell phones are incompatible with quiet worship.

Llopis' church in the southeast coastal town of Moraira is the first in Spain to install such a device, which transmits low-power radio signals that sever communications between cellular handsets and cellular base-stations."

Old 03-31-2002, 01:15 AM
Aceze
Ponderer

People, people, people... Havent you heard of Vibrate mode???

Aceze

Old 03-31-2002, 01:19 AM
Chubbergott
Ponderer

Indeed.

Though I feel I should abstain fellowship when I'm on call (I play in the basnd and don't want to cause a fuss if I get buzzed), I think this pastor guy needs to realise that he's excluding people who need to be contacted.

Does he realise he may well be putting a stop on doctors and other professionals from attending his services?

Old 03-31-2002, 01:28 AM
Aceze
Ponderer

After some thought, this whole issue is somewhat ironic on two counts:

1) The maker of the cell phone jammer is an Israeli company.

2) Church of the Defenseless?

Aceze

Old 03-31-2002, 02:10 AM
Lotak
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Lotak Send a message via AIM to Lotak Send a message via MSN to Lotak

I think it would be better if there was a way to emit a signal that forces electronic devices into their vibrate mode.

Old 03-31-2002, 03:12 AM
brownzilla
Neophyte

Its just like anything else. We can keep the cellphones if 99% of us were smart enough to put it on vibrate. But most people are jerks and dont do that because they dont want to miss their calls. So I hate to say it, I'm on the priests side. There are some places that loud cellphone ringing is not appropriate. Church, libraries, weddings, movies, school, seminars, lectures etc. Turn on the damn vibrate and we wont have people trying to jam us. :twisted:

Anyway, Isnt it odd that its such an inconvenience to not have a cell 24X7, but 5 years ago we were all fine without one? :lol:

Old 03-31-2002, 03:22 AM
mja8105
Pupil

i also agree with the priest.

so what, if it IS some sort of emergency, i would rather be in the house of God anyways... 8)

Old 03-31-2002, 03:35 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

What if you are a doctor though? Or have one of those "transplant" beepers where they beep you when awaiting an organ transplant? Obscure possibilites, true - especially that second one - but possible.

Old 03-31-2002, 03:57 AM
Paragon
Magi

If one of my kids was on a list for a kidney transplant and my doctor missed the call because his priest felt it was more important that he was not interupted. Then I think the priest is at the right church. "The Church of the Defenseless".

I think it comes down to this, which is more important, to act as Christian as possible, or to preach to the Christians.

I think this is going to be a "real" issue in the future. (I have added this statement) The issue of cellphones ringing in public places.

Dave

Old 03-31-2002, 04:59 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

When did the cell phone become an essential item in life?

No one NEEDS to have a cell phone. Tell me how most people got by without one before they were invented. Its called coping without tech. People should learn to do it. Sort of like learning to interact with Windows without a mouse. Its nice to have one but what happens if your mouse goes dead?

Same deal with cells. You should be a be able to live without any tech and still get your job done. Cell phones, pagers, blackberry, Pocket PC, Palms, and even to an extent Laptops are all luxuries. They are tools to HELP you do your job. Myself I never take my cell out of my car. If I'm in a movie, mall, shopping center I have NO reason to be contacted. I've trained myself to check my phone when I get back to the car. (Ahh the beauty of voice messaging.)

Personally I think these scramblers should be in every theater, shopping center, church in the world. With a sign out front saying this building blocks cell phone usage. If people don't like it tough. Go somewhere else.