Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default $50 a month flat-rate GPRS

$50 CND (@ $32 US) per month, UNLIMITED data transfer. Holy flatrate Batman! Yes, it's a reality - coming to Canadians courtesy of Microcell, the power behind the Fido throne. It's a 12 month contract, so it's something you can bank on. Now the only problem is that Fido doesn't offer any GRPS phones with Bluetooth support built in. So close to being perfect - I hope they add the T39 or T68 soon!

Although this information isn't on the Microcell or Fido web sites yet, I have it from a very reliable source that this offer will be starting soon. The rest of the world, eat your heart out! :-)

Old 03-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Paragon
Magi

Hey Jason

That is good news for us Canadians eh! The last I saw their GPRS rates were thru the roof. It looks like their coverage is maybe improving also....at least on paper. I think you can get coverage in almost any Canadian city, still very poor coverage between cities. It will come I'm sure.

I will be very disappointed if they do not offer a "Wallaby" or HP928 type of handheld.

I want and I want it now!!

I truely believe that wireleess handhelds will be the next r.....evolution.

Dave

Old 03-28-2002, 07:25 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

I found a little bit more on this at www.howardchui.com in the Fido forum.

"The PC Novatel Merlin G100 card will be launched on April 11. A new
promotional service: unlimited usage of the GPRS for $50/month, valid
during 12 months."

My only suspicion about this is that it will be valid for 12 months as an incentive for people to use this, then revert to whatever billing plans they have after this period is up. I can't see them sticking with an unlimited plan like this indefinitely considering the price of their other plans, though IMHO the only way to really draw people into using data is to offer an unlimited option - I bet they're finding few takers for their GPRS services, even if their prices are reasonable compared to other GPRS prices, they're still unrealistic for most people.

Old 03-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Joff
Ponderer

I fear you could be right rubberdemon (let's hope not).
I wish something similar will be on offer in Europe. I will most certainly sign in for this price. It could actually become a serious contender to ADSL or broadband cable since prices for these services are of the same order. GPRS would give you the bonus to provide mobile internet! Well worth the extra few bucks. Coverage could be a problem (that should hopefully improve).

That's it, I'm all excited now. :lol:

Old 03-28-2002, 08:36 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberdemon
I can't see them sticking with an unlimited plan like this indefinitely considering the price of their other plans, though IMHO the only way to really draw people into using data is to offer an unlimited option
What I think would make the most sense would be something similar to what wireless voice networks do and ISPs do when offering trial memberships: provide a huge chunk of finite connectivity, with upgraded service for an additional fee. Pay-by-the-byte will be VERY difficult for most North Americans to swallow, but paying for large blocs of downloads is more in line with what we are used to.

Still, for the very first time in my life, I find myself reading this news item and wishing -- heaven help me -- that I lived in Canada.

Old 03-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Paragon
Magi

Still, for the very first time in my life, I find myself reading this news item and wishing -- heaven help me -- that I lived in Canada.
[/quote]

Very funny Brad... and I was just starting to like you

Actually I'm hoping that a year down the road market value will be much lower. The only problem with that is there is so little GPRS competition in Canada. I think Rogers is still talking about and as far as I know no one else has even begun to build a GPRS system hmmmm.

Dave

Old 03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
mahaikol
Neophyte
Default Flat-rate in Finland also

An operator called DNA offers flat-rate GPRS services in Finland, price tag is somewhere 16-17 euros per month.. It's the only one of its kind here in Finland. Many people have started to use it as their only internet connection, and say it performs well.

MH

Old 03-28-2002, 10:57 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

I'm with Telus here in Vancouver myself, and what interests me is how something like this will affect their upcoming 1xrtt launch (scheduled for May). They'll be launching the Sierra Wireless 555 aircard as their data solution, which I believe also has voice capability with a headset, which has me quite interested (my wallet protests, of course). If they have an unlimited bundle at a competitive price, I'll be sorely tempted.

As for that flat fee offer in Finland, that's the best one I've ever heard of: 17 euros for flat rate is so much cheaper than everyone else that I have to wonder how they can afford this. Maybe you should give up your Canadian dreams and switch to Finland, Brad...

Old 03-28-2002, 11:00 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

Oh and PS, for anyone else wishing to sneak over the border and take advantage of Canadian lower prices - you can get ADSL or Cable Internet service for $40 per month CDN ($24 US) pretty much anywhere - and some ISPs have launched lite versions at 128kps for $24 CD per month ($15 US)! It ain't all maple syrup and pancakes...

Old 03-28-2002, 11:07 PM
Paragon
Magi

Not to mention, we drink real beer!

rubberdemon, do you have a link with anymore info on Telus's 1xrtt plans.

Dave