Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 03-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Mazingo and big files

As some of you may have noticed, the Mazingo sync yesterday and today is a little screwed up. Why? Well, because like a good client it's trying to download the content on this site. That's good. The problem is that I put up 18 megs worth of onLine Tonight WMA files linked from the front page. That's bad! I had no clue Mazingo would try to grab it. I learned today that if I use the IP address instead of the domain name, Mazingo will think it's "off site" content and not try to grab it. Problem solved! Sorry for those of you who have had bad sync experiences in the past 24 hours.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Side note - for those that WANT the Online tonight content, you can subscribe to his Mazingo channel at www.mazingo.net.

Old 03-22-2002, 12:20 AM
st63z
Philosopher

BTW, does Mazingo have a support forum somewhere? I've been wanting to ask about some problems but I feel bad to keep emailing them personally (if it's a known problem, I don't want to impose time on the developers to shoot off tens of emails answering the same thing). But I've been more occupied with Mazingo stuff because I've been becoming more dependent on it for my news and such (in addition to AvantGo)...

With the current v3.31, everytime I sync I always get a long complaint log afterwards that says "Warning: Due to slow server response, this channel may not work properly: [many entries for most of my channels]". I've never had this consistent reporting of problem with earlier versions (I'm on cable modem, FYI). To be fair though I don't actually find problems with most of those channels, only some of the rather large text channels (400-700K) that unpredictably fail to download fully.

From recent experience, my problem list of large channels:
- worst: Slashdot and Yahoo Mobile News
- often bad: ABCNews and Wired Magazine Mobile

- surprisingly reliable large channels: NandoTimes and some PPC channels

Once in a while everything downloads 100% and it's such a great feeling (I think it's often when I choose to Update All Items, but I'm not sure). It's annoying when you're out with some free time and trying to click on a headline and find out it hasn't been downloaded...

Old 03-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

That explains SOOOO much! I've been doing a lot of installing of other apps and every time I re-cradled my device Mazingo seemed to take over my whole system.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 03-22-2002, 01:52 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
every time I re-cradled my device Mazingo seemed to take over my whole system.
Well, it does that anyway. :-) When it's resolving links it will chew through upwards of 80%+ of the CPU resources, which completely sucks. But they're looking at improving that...