Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 03-06-2002, 11:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default PocketPC2002.com...going, going, gone!

http://shareit1.element5.com/

As some of you know, I registered the domain pocketpc2002.com last year once I found out the name of the product. I knew that Microsoft didn't have a copyright for the term "Pocket PC", so I wasn't in danger of being a domain poacher - and if they had wanted it, they would already own it. :-)

The domain was for sale for around six months before I was contacted by SEDO about selling the domain to an anonymous third party. It took nearly two months to complete the process, but the domain has officially changed hands today. Who was the buyer? ShareIt.com, an online software store. I'm not sure what their plans are for it, but an online Pocket PC software store seems likely. I've now updated my links to reflect the new home for my affiliate links. Thanks for your continued support!

Registering/buying/selling domains is something I dabble in - there's a lot of interesting politics that go on with domain names. Just look at what happened with the smartphone domains!

Old 03-06-2002, 11:42 PM
michael
Ponderer

How much did you get for it ?

Old 03-06-2002, 11:55 PM
Kemas
Ponderer
Default Still Here

Well, he is still with us so it wasn't a kings ransom... unless you are editing these pages from the warm coast of Mexico or the Carrabian. LOL.

Kemas

Old 03-07-2002, 12:04 AM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

TREE FITY!!

Old 03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default No, I'm not retiring to a beach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
How much did you get for it ?
I wouldn't normally be public with the amount, but I've always been open with site readers about financial issues that relate to the site, so what the heck. 8)

The final price was a low four figure number that rhymes with "tree". ;-) Not gobs of money, but since I'm trying to get my basement finished and turned into an office (working on the kitchen table sucks!), and based on my current lack of job-id-ness, it's very much needed.

I received several offers in the $150 to $350 range, but I didn't consider any of them to be serious offers. One guy offered 1 million Lira, which I was excited about until I did the conversion and it came out to $350 US or something. Silly forgein currencies. ;-)

Old 03-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Still Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemas
unless you are editing these pages from the warm coast of Mexico or the Carrabian
I WISH!

It's -25 Celcius here now, and we have a good foot of snow on the ground. Aughh....

Old 03-07-2002, 02:25 AM
jeff
Intellectual

So how is this any different from ticket scalping or ebay gouging? You're an unnecessary middle man who benefits nobody but yourself.

If you're cool with it, that's great. But I'd feel pretty crappy making money like that.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2002, 02:28 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

Good for you Jason! I hope your conversion goes smoothly, we just finished converting a basement to an office and i love it!

Old 03-07-2002, 02:45 AM
Kirk Stephens
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
So how is this any different from ticket scalping or ebay gouging? You're an unnecessary middle man who benefits nobody but yourself.

If you're cool with it, that's great. But I'd feel pretty crappy making money like that.

Jeff
Jeff, whats your problem? There is nothing wrong with what Jason did. Web domains are bought and sold all the time.

Old 03-07-2002, 03:00 AM
jeff
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Stephens
Jeff, whats your problem? There is nothing wrong with what Jason did. Web domains are bought and sold all the time.
And so are ballgame tickets by scalpers. It's the exact same thing. A company or person has to pay many times the amount they normally would for something because someone else, with absolutely no intention of using it, got to it first.

Jeff