Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Chicken, the Egg, and the Killer App

http://12.108.175.91/ebookweb/discuss/msgReader$1102

The classic tale of woe from an emerging market: how do you kick-start it? This article talks about eBooks and the devices they are being "served" on. I'm a little surprised that the people in this article preferred a single function device like the REB to a multi-function device like the iPAQ. I couldn't imagine having a dedicated eBook reader just sitting there for one thing, unless the cost was very low and I could have several of them lying around the house in different rooms. What about you? Here's a quote from the article:

"...The iPaq fared better. Its versatility assuages the concern that money is going into a "gadget" that children will laugh at next year. Unfortunately it has the same display problems, and its small - reading on it feels like you're staring a box of raisins. PDA's are important to eBook industry - millions use them as a convenient eReading tool and millions more are exposed to the benefits of eReading. But they are a "bridge", not a destination. Many that use them for reading do so not because it's their first choice, but because demand for eReading is real, and there are few alternatives." Source: Jerry Justianto

Old 03-05-2002, 05:42 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
What about you?

www.fictionwise.com -> my shelf. I use iPaq for reading and after using Palm for ebook reading I find iPAQ much better!

Lookup feature is so cool!!!

Old 03-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Paragon
Magi

The number one use for my HP565 by far is reading ebooks. No question in my mind, why bother with a single use device when you can have a pocket pc that does it better plus a lot more. I say better since most dedicated ebook readers are for a single format, were as ppc's can have several ebook readers installed. Mine ain't no bridge I'm sticking with it. I have read over forty books on it. I for one enjoy the format.

Dave

Old 03-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual
Default Get over it already...

The dedicated reader people need to get over themselves. I'm getting really sick of hearing about how much a disadvantage it is to read on a PDA screen. Sure, it's smaller than a paperback page, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worse. The smaller amount of text visible at one time actually helps me focus on what I'm reading, rather than my eyes "bouncing" all over the two page spread.

But the more telling observation is this. When paperbacks were first introduced, they were panned by the then reading public as inferior to hardcovers. Why would anyone bother with cheap glue bindings, flimsy paper covers, and yes, smaller pages sizes when they could read a high-quality hard bound edition?

Old 03-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Kilmerr
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Kilmerr Send a message via Yahoo to Kilmerr
Default Tablet PC

The PDA screen-size, for the vast majority of the population, is still too small for extended reading. But $500 to $1,200 for dedicated readers (Myfriendly) that are simple and feature-limited is crazy. And even the cheap ones like Franklin eBookman are still somewhat total jokes. The answer to it all? The Tablet PC, full multifunctional PC and just the right size per screen reading at where people are comfortable for extended reading, plus in ClearType, per Windows XP Tablet Ver. Due in September, but sure is hard waiting...

Old 03-05-2002, 07:40 PM
dazz
Theorist

I think this article is a joke. This is obviously someone that does not use a PocketPC for daily use and does not travel. A dedicated e-book reader if fine if home but if you are on the go this does not work.

I do a TON of reading on my PocketPC and think it's great. I did have to get used to the screen size compared with a book page but this is not a practicle problem, but a comfort level with what we are used to (books). There are only a few people that can read a paragraph at a glance. For these extreme speed readers the size of the sceen migth be a problem. I personally read fairly quickly and don't have any problems.

Kilmerr, I wish I had your money!!! I like the idea of the TabletPC but it will still be very expensive and not as portable

*deposit 2 cents here*

Dazz

Old 03-05-2002, 07:55 PM
lar3ry
Pupil

I think that eBooks is a VERY important application for PDAs like the iPAQ. It's almost the same size as a paperback, and is convenient to take with you. It's programmable, so you have a choice of ebook formats (.LIT, Palm doc, PDF, etc.). One could wish for better battery life, but there are solutions for that as well.

I habitually mark up my own stories into .LIT and proof-read them during lunch breaks or when I have some free time, using the annotation devices to highlight awkward prose styles, bad spelling/grammar, etc. It's an editor's and writer's dream come true.

Once the issue of DRM (my favorite oxymoron) is settled, maybe we can get some good texts and useful readers.

Old 03-05-2002, 08:37 PM
miterb
Intellectual
Default Love the Casio E-125 as E-book Reader

I am reading e-books fully 70% of the time I am on my Casio. I am an inveterate reader in bed and the smaller the book, the easier it is to hold up. My wife calls my E-125 my $600 nightlight.

Old 03-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Tablet PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmerr
The answer to it all? The Tablet PC, full multifunctional PC and just the right size per screen reading at where people are comfortable for extended reading, plus in ClearType, per Windows XP Tablet Ver. Due in September, but sure is hard waiting...
Unless it weighs 0.5 pounds, costs under $500, and lasts for 10+ hours on a battery charge - which we know it won't - I don't see this making a splash as an eBook reader...

Old 03-05-2002, 09:57 PM
scottmag
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to scottmag Send a message via MSN to scottmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I'm a little surprised that the people in this article preferred a single function device like the REB to a multi-function device like the iPAQ.
Two observations:

1). It does not surprise me that many people would express a preference for a single-function device in this case. More people own and use calculators than PocketPCs or any other PDA. The average consumer does not want the added complexity that come with the added features and capability. Of course that same typical consumer is unlikely to want any electronic device to replace good old paper, but their initial opinion will be preference for the more simple, dedicated device. Once there is a user base of any size for reading ebooks there is little doubt that the more open architecture of a multifunction device like a PocketPC will emerge as clearly superior. (And probably a lot cheaper.)

2.) Jeff Kirvin has discussed this at length over at www.writingonyourpalm.net and points out that the iPaq is not as good a choice for etext reading because the pixel orientation defeats ClearType. I only bring this up because I was at CompUSA today checking out the $299 Audiovox Maestro. I compared an HP and an iPaq that were next to each other and there is a distinct difference when running MS Reader.

Scott