Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-01-2002, 04:18 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default MVQ streaming may blow away MPEG-4

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20020221/tc_zd/5103513

MPEG-4 hasn't even really arrived, and already a company is claiming they have something better. What I find most interesting, beyond the claimed compression improvements, is the fact that the playbackl client is a 20 KB Java applet. Perhaps Java isn't so useless after all. ;-)

"Finnish developer Oplayo has been demonstrating a compression technology at the 3GSM World Congress in Cannes which, says the company, is up to ten times faster for delivering audio and video to mobile devices than MPEG-4.

Baptised MVQ (which stands for Motion Vector Quantization), the technology enables extremely light video decoding that requires a low processing power at the receiving end, making it suitable for wireless devices. Instead of using a plug-in, or a player as is the case with both Microsoft and RealNetworks technologies, Oplayo's MVQ uses a 20KB Java applet that can be transmitted to a PC, PDA or phone along with the video package. " Source: Cory Johnson

Old 03-01-2002, 04:29 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

oh no here comes jpzr I can hear him and chubbergott now..... :lol:

Old 03-01-2002, 05:22 AM
dylan95
Neophyte

I could be mistaken, but I'm 99% sure that the goal of MPEG4 is *not* to be a small download - instead the goal is for compressed video and audio at DVD to HDTV quality with Dolby quality 5.1 audio.

This company saying they made a video compression 10x smaller than MPEG4 is like Kia (an inexpensive car company) announcing they have a new car that 10x cheaper than a Lamborghini.

Old 03-01-2002, 05:24 AM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

You know what? That really sounds like it will be basically animated vector graphics.

Old 03-01-2002, 05:25 AM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's still no mpeg4 replacement.

Old 03-01-2002, 06:33 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Baptised MVQ (which stands for Motion Vector Quantization), the technology enables extremely light video decoding that requires a low processing power at the receiving end, making it suitable for wireless devices. Instead of using a plug-in, or a player as is the case with both Microsoft and RealNetworks technologies, Oplayo's MVQ uses a 20KB Java applet that can be transmitted to a PC, PDA or phone along with the video package. " Source: Cory Johnson
Is Java even going to make it in future PocketPC / SmartPhone based CE OS? I doubt it since MS is fairly anti Java at this point.

Old 03-01-2002, 07:22 AM
wiredguy
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotbeat
You know what? That really sounds like it will be basically animated vector graphics.
If it was that silly, I'm sure it would have been discredited a long time ago... then again, who knows .

Old 03-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Roach
Neophyte

If Java is so useless why is Microsoft's latest language C# a total clone of Java? In fact why is the entire .NET drive a mirror of J2EE from Sun?

Microsoft know how good Java is, the only problem is they can't use it without getting sued the hell out of for changing it to only work on Windows. Java is only useless in the eyes of a Microsoft person because it doesn't tie you into Windows

OBTW There is Java on the Pocket PC (www.insignia.com)

--------------------------------
Graeme Rocher
"Java" Software Developer
Channelbay Interactive TV
www.channelbay.tv
--------------------------------

Old 03-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

Quote:
Baptised MVQ (which stands for Motion Vector Quantization), the technology enables extremely light video decoding that requires a low processing power at the receiving end, making it suitable for wireless devices.

Old 03-01-2002, 04:04 PM
mike6024
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Perhaps Java isn't so useless after all. ;-)
That may be true, but Java is still the Devil.