Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-28-2002, 12:51 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default New Pentium 4

I found this news report about a new Pentium 4 to be released next year ( http://news.com.com/2100-1001-846382...ed..ne_8927070 ).

It's codename is Prescott. Those in the UK will know what I mean when I ponder over whether this new processor will pack a punch! :lol:

Old 02-28-2002, 04:53 PM
spg
Sage

While this may be cool, they need to improve alot over the old Pentium 4. The old one is so pitiful it is crazy! Those processor drove me nuts! A Athlon 1GHz processor runs WinXP faster than a Pentium 4 1.8GHz. It is just crazy, they totally messed up with the old Pentium 4s. I hope this one is better.

Old 02-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Intel has quite a few things that are under "lock and key." When "visitors" (meaning higher level Intel empolyies) get access to just visit one of the labs where the new technology is, some of it is covered up for fear of it being leaked. Even just seening the chip in the motherboard they feel could present a marketing issue.

I fear that some of us pro-Intel people don't give AMD enough credit. Their processors in many ways are better then Intel's, though they don't have the Intel name to make them stand out. It has now become a selling point that a computer has the Intel inside. Stores can push Intel products much faster then AMD ones since people are in a mind set about the Intel product line.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:24 PM
seanturner
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg
While this may be cool, they need to improve alot over the old Pentium 4. The old one is so pitiful it is crazy! Those processor drove me nuts! A Athlon 1GHz processor runs WinXP faster than a Pentium 4 1.8GHz. It is just crazy, they totally messed up with the old Pentium 4s. I hope this one is better.
A 1Ghz outperforming a 1.8 :? I have an Athlon XP 1900 (1.6 Ghz) and it performs similarly to my friends 1.9 Ghz P4 in Quake3 fps, same video card, both 512MB ddr. But there is no way a Tbird could outperform a P4 unless you have some serious overclock.

Old 04-08-2002, 01:27 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanturner
A 1Ghz outperforming a 1.8 :? I have an Athlon XP 1900 (1.6 Ghz) and it performs similarly to my friends 1.9 Ghz P4 in Quake3 fps, same video card, both 512MB ddr. But there is no way a Tbird could outperform a P4 unless you have some serious overclock.
Most of the tests i have read about involve overclocking a AMD 1.3, and one test the actually overclocked both an AMD and an Intel and the AMD still surpased it. It isn't all about the MHz (yeah, I know that is a Palm/Apple statement) but it really isn't. There are many other factors that go into it. I don't know what Intel has been thinking with their designs lately, but I do know that Intel people that have been wagering their stock out against AMD have been losing out.

Old 04-08-2002, 04:42 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanturner
I have an Athlon XP 1900 (1.6 Ghz) and it performs similarly to my friends 1.9 Ghz P4 in Quake3 fps, same video card, both 512MB ddr.
You just said it yourself - same performance, and the AMD is 300 mhz slower than the P4. Clock cycle per clock cycle, the AMD chips kill P4s. But P4s are cranking up the frequency faster than AMD...

Old 04-11-2002, 06:53 AM
seanturner
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadave
Most of the tests i have read about involve overclocking a AMD 1.3, and one test the actually overclocked both an AMD and an Intel and the AMD still surpased it. It isn't all about the MHz (yeah, I know that is a Palm/Apple statement) but it really isn't. There are many other factors that go into it. I don't know what Intel has been thinking with their designs lately, but I do know that Intel people that have been wagering their stock out against AMD have been losing out.
Yeah, but the 1.3's would have to be the T-Bird core which is different from the current Palomino core, and AMD is about to release their Thoroughbred. But we don't know what the 1.3 was compared to... The Intel processors are famous for being able to be pushed to insane overclocks with just stock cooling, whereas the old T-Birds would fry if you didn't have an hsf the size of California or water-cooling. That's why AMD unlocked the T-Bird core on those processors: because you couldn't push it much farther. And we don�t know what kind of benchmarks were done on it, because on tasks like floating point, the athlon will school the p4, however when it gets to high memory bandwidth applications (which also raises the question of what kind of RAM the intel chip was running) the p4 owns the athlon.