Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Asus to try hand at own-branded PDAs

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?IR=N&ClassID=100&datePublish=2002/02/22&pages=04&seq=29

Well, it's official: ASUS is making their own Pocket PC. Unlike the announcement we posted a few weeks ago of a prototype device that may or may not make it to market, it looks like ASUS is releasing a Pocket PC to the market with built-in GPRS. Excellent! I wonder if it will be restricted to Asian markets, or if North America & Europe will get the device?

"Asustek Computer will launch its first own-branded PDA (personal digital assistant) with a GPRS (general packet radio service) module in mid-April, said vice-president Tzeng Chien-sheng. The PDA will be equipped with Intel�s StrongARM 1110 processor, and run on the Pocket PC 2002 operating system. Asus will follow this up with the launch of a similar model using Intel�s new XScale processor in Q3."

"Tzeng noted that not all of their new PDA models will have built-in GPRS modules, but users will be able to enjoy GPRS functions by attaching an external module to the SD (secure digital) card slot."

Source: Christopher Coulter

Old 02-23-2002, 01:35 AM
Venturello
Intellectual

Nice indeed! Asus makes GREAT stuff on their other product line, hope they can come up with something interesting.

Just PLEASE let it be 64Mbs!!

Old 02-23-2002, 06:59 AM
AKBishop
Pupil
Default All right!

All right... more competition means better products and lower prices. And ASUS sure does know how to make better products.

I'm very interested in the GPRS module that connects through an SD slot. I wonder if they'll be kind enough to make drivers for my iPAQ. ;-) That'd be cool.

:-D

Old 02-23-2002, 06:18 PM
Aceze
Ponderer

Anybody else think that Asus should forego the SA1110 and skip directly to the XScale processors??? With a handful of XScale machines coming out in 2Q02, who's going to continue to buy SA1110 machines that will be coming out at the same time? At least the machines coming out with the Xscale chips have a chance at being upgradeable, but any SA1110 machines will be stuck with the slow SA1110 chip regardless of OS expandability...

I really hope Asus dont bother with the SA1110, of all the designs of the current batch of PPC's the Asus/NEC PPC is my favourite - but no XScale, no sale!

Aceze

Old 02-23-2002, 08:47 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceze
I really hope Asus dont bother with the SA1110, of all the designs of the current batch of PPC's the Asus/NEC PPC is my favourite - but no XScale, no sale!
I feel like they might go SA1110 first to test the market, which isn't really a good plan. I agree, going with the XScale would be what would make me consider this product, not StrongARM like I can buy now.

I really want to know if it has any "special" Asus stuff in it. Like did they but in their own system board, and if so I would like to see some spec compares. Though only a small population of users would probably care about this, I think some of the power users could be interested to see if Asus decided to "supe up" thier PDA or make it basically the same as the other.

Old 02-23-2002, 11:21 PM
philfp
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceze
Chicken and egg problem for all manufacturers really. You need to announce new products all the time, but production quantities of XScale are likely to be small and spread out between a lot of PPC vendors for a fair wee while. To come straight out with XScale might mean delaying the release of the inbuilt GPRS PPC, which they might well sell to corporates rather than to us individual punters.

Personally I'd rather wait for XScale, but I appreciate the problem that Asus and others must have in this area.

Phil

Old 02-24-2002, 12:43 AM
pocketmon
Pupil

Yep. Methinks I like what I see... 8O

Edit: Converted pictures to links to conserve boardspace. It still looks good though... :twisted:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/do...12/intel09.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/do...12/intel07.jpg

Old 02-24-2002, 02:00 AM
jlp
Pontificator

Technology is really advancing too fast and companies are having a very hard time to include it all: XScale, BlueTooth, GSM/GPRS, PocketPC 2002, Windows CE.NET.

The first PkPC 2k2 are barely here for 6 months (1-2 months for the European market where I live) and now you see the newer generation that make your device totally obsolete, and none include them all.

It's advancing much faster than the desktop, and there at least you can remove a component and/or add more RAM, a second HDD, change the CPU, the graphic card, etc.

But with PDAs, if you want any of the newer technology like an XScale CPU, BlueTooth without sacrificing your unique slot (2 at most if you're lucky) GPRS, an HDD, a newer OS, etc. you have to ditch your device and get another one.

And these are not cheap either.

Old 02-25-2002, 05:12 PM
FM
Neophyte
Default Asus pocketpc

Oh boy,

I did not realise this PPC was new when I played with it last week in Cannes :-0

I was on display at the Infineon booth. So I guess they will be using their GSM chipset in it.

Mmmhhhhh, looks like I missed a good opportunity to take a couple of pictures there...

BTW, Infineon was also showing a very small CF type II tri-band GSM/GPRS card. Nothing comparable to the ugly Pretec bulky card.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:50 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Hey, just found a link on PDABuzz to some more pictures of the Asus device at the GSM World Conference....

http://www.pdafrance.com/articles/ar...rs&id=108&p=10

The specs say...ARM StrongARM 1110 , 64MB RAM, LCD 64K, Compact Flash II and SD/MMC, Jog Dial. Not a bad little product, though I think XScale would make it go over better.