Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-19-2002, 12:36 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default RealNetworks will bring out player for Pocket PC

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020219/tc_nm/tech_realnetworks_mobile_dc_2&cid=581

One of the recurring questions in the Pocket PC newsgroup is where to find a player for Real streaming media for the Pocket PC. Until now, the answer was that there was none. But the linked news story brings good news to those looking for such a player: "Real, best known for its RealOne software for playing music or video on a personal computer, is also preparing to launch a version of RealOne for Pocket PC handheld computers based on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system."

Source: Jonathan Blackwell

Old 02-19-2002, 12:49 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default About time

About time too! I can't understand why they hadn't brought one out earlier!

Old 02-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Ed Hansberry

Lets hope that when you install it it doesn't take over all file associations associated with audio and video like its evil desktop brother does. :evil:

Old 02-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

The desktop version only does it if you allow it to. You need to step through its setup carefully to avoid this assimilation of all media formats, but it doesn't touch associations if you tell it not to do so.

Old 02-19-2002, 02:31 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

Quote:
You need to step through its setup carefully to avoid this assimilation of all media formats, but it doesn't touch associations if you tell it not to do so.
Heh, that's how it -should- work. Real likes to take over the associations no matter what, it apparently thinks it knows best. :? If I remember correctly from the last time I installed Realone, I kept getting an insanely annoying message box popping up every few days screaming at me because it couldn't get associated with a few file types.

Oh well, anyway. The latest real player, Realone, seems quite a step up from the previous players. It's quite nice actually and seems much more stable and polished. Here's hoping the Pocket PC version will follow it's lead and not be a step back again. (I.E. buggy, crashes often, poor performance, etc.)

Old 02-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirath
Oh well, anyway. The latest real player, Realone, seems quite a step up from the previous players. It's quite nice actually and seems much more stable and polished. Here's hoping the Pocket PC version will follow it's lead and not be a step back again. (I.E. buggy, crashes often, poor performance, etc.)
RealOne is the worst. You cannot just install that app and use it when you want. It wants to take over your desktop with alerts and whatnot. I hate it. It was on my wife's PC, but I just reformatted and put XP on it and will not put RealAnything on it unless I have to. I use the old realplayer on my PC and it works fine for the 30 minutes a month I use it. All other times I prefer Windows Media.

Old 02-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Oh, goody. Now I can be annoyed by pop-up ads on my Pocket PC. Real-one stayed on my desktop about two days. I carefully installed it refusing to allow it file associations but it insisted on bugging me with messages it was sure I wanted to know about right away. If content is only available in realmedia, I don't need it.

Old 02-19-2002, 04:02 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default Real One Annoying Application

I have to agree with the Masses here!! No real anything for me. Too much crud goes along with it, the pop ups, adds, requests to upgrade, bla bla bla. And yes I know that some of these things are probably only for the freeware of real like player, but that to me is just not going to get me to buy an app. I am familiar with the association problems and yeah you can chose not to associate file types but as stated before Real just gets mad about it later and starts yelling at you.

If software truly matters I would just like to see Media Player perfected. One thing I would like to see is a Skinning app that will work on any Windows OS.

Old 02-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

Yep, put me in the "resistance is not futile group", we don't need another app from real trying to screw up our systems.

daniel

Old 02-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

I hope that Real just keeps everything simple and doesn't try and make things "to complicated" like their desktop software. It isn't that it is hard to use, just that there are a lot of little buttons all around that most people never use (most of them being ads). I say leave that kind of stuff for the desktop and make the Pocket PC client actually simple and decent.