Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-19-2002, 10:50 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Smartphone 2002 rolls out

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/phones/smartphone/default.asp

Yesterday, I promised more Smartphone 2002 "much more news about the Smartphone 2002 in the near future!".

Sneak preview: Microsoft has made a sneak preview available at their Smartphone site.

Sony-Erisson to make Smartphone 2002s?: The article "Gates throws Stinger cat among EPOC pigeons" speculates that a "deal will see Sony Ericsson implement the U.S. software giant�s Smartphone 2002 platform in its 3G devices, rather than Symbian�s EPOC, which uses the Nokia browser."

Smartphone 2002 phones: The PocketPC 2002 Press site has some pictures of the Sendo and Texas Instruments Smartphone 2002s. (Thanks to Paul Britton for the link!)

Old 02-19-2002, 11:45 AM
innersky
Ponderer

so, where do I buy it ??

Old 02-19-2002, 12:00 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Not bad

Not bad actually. It's good to see that there is unification in the InBox application (though the absence of any FAX facilities is a bit of a shame).

Though I don't think that this picture...

...goes with the headline "The Windows Environment You Are Used To" :?

My conclusion is that there is no comparison between this and the communicator ( www.twyn-y-berllan.com/n9210 - 'Nuff Said ) since the communicator outclasses it on all counts (Software Matters - Word, Spreadsheet, etc. etc.). The real comparison will be with the 7650 (GSM, HSCSD, GPRS & Bluetooth, IrDA, Serial connections). It's certainly not designed for the professional user - or do Micro$oft expect people to buy one of these and a PocketPC? The phone on the main page looks like a gun from Space1999!

i know which one i'd rather whip out in a public place

I know it's superficial, but style counts. Remember when the 7110 first came out? Everybody wanted the phone that looked like the phone from the Matrix. Forget it's excellent functionality, they just wanted to flip a cover!

Notes of interest
Not much said about the calendar application - is that because it is pants? Remember, Software Matters.

Ericsson are, according to the article, doing anything they can to stop their drop. This is, on their part, an act of desparation not inspiration.

And finally.....
:lol: "You Only Need One Hand" - That's why the color screen! :wink:

Old 02-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

I got this over email:

"As we have entered the world of multimedia messaging and mobile colour imaging, it is increasingly important with an open platform which enables products to interact and connect freely", said Anil Raj, corporate executive vice president of Sony Ericsson. "Symbian v7.0 OS will be instrumental for Sony Ericsson when launching our competitive mobile multimedia products", said Mr Raj.

What is the real deal? Anyone knows? Will they go one or both ways?

Sony Ericsson does need something new. The Smartphone 2002 should be regarded as "inspiration", not "desparation". However, in my opinion, Microsoft needs them as much.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:52 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default IMHO

IMHO, I should like to see them go both ways for both Stinger and Symbian have a lot to offer the world.

But the practical truth is not that companies think Stinger is pants, they're just scared of Micro$oft getting its claws into them with the kind of exclusive deals that have been imposed on PC makers (ie, if you make a stinger phone, you're not allowed to touch anything else such as Palm or Symbian).

Old 02-19-2002, 01:57 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel
Default Not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbergott
I know it's superficial, but style counts. Remember when the 7110 first came out? Everybody wanted the phone that looked like the phone from the Matrix. Forget it's excellent functionality, they just wanted to flip a cover!
I bought a 7110 when they first came out, because of the functionality! The "flip" was just a bonus (as a side note, the phones that were used in The Matrix were modified 8110s, they don't exist!)!

I like it, the "Microsoft/Texas Instruments Smartphone 2002" I think it looks cool actually. Although, it will be a close call for me to go either Smartphone or PPC 2k2 Phone Edition.

Quote:
style counts
And you want a 9210! Pfft! :roll:

I'll just wait until it pans out a bit more.

daniel

Old 02-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Kilmerr
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Kilmerr Send a message via Yahoo to Kilmerr
Default Sony and Ericsson

"...which uses the Nokia browser...."

Odd. A browser is not an Operating System. I thot Ericsson already agreed to use the MS browser. Seems a stretch to say "Smartphone 2002 platform". And Microsoft would be trumpeting and shouting this from the hilltops if it was inked.

Sony Ericsson seemed pretty committed to (Hurricane) Symbian 7.0...

And Sony and Ericsson haven't exactly been Microsofts best buddies of late. Doesn't seem to fit in with current logic. I think the idle speculation is totally off. But I dunno...

Christopher Coulter
www.kilmerr.com

Old 02-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Daniel
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Send a message via MSN to Daniel

I'd almost prefer they went with Symbian! At least they'd benefit from shared software development effort with all of the Nokia devs.

daniel

Old 02-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

The Microsoft Smartphone site shows 'screenshots' of Rebound and Doom, sized down to make you believe they are running on Stinger. Aside from the control issues, I'm wondering about the memory and processors in these devices. The only thing I've read is that the smartphone from Sendo is slated to have a TI processor and 16 mb of memory.

Old 02-19-2002, 02:23 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Not bad

Quote:
My conclusion is that there is no comparison between this and the communicator ( www.twyn-y-berllan.com/n9210 - 'Nuff Said ) since the communicator outclasses it on all counts (Software Matters - Word, Spreadsheet, etc. etc.). The real comparison will be with the 7650 (GSM, HSCSD, GPRS & Bluetooth, IrDA, Serial connections).
Very true. But on the other hand, I know no one who admires the Communicator for its phone capabilities. I think the Communicator ( which I really dislike BTW, despite all the specs, as I think the keyboard really sucks, and there is no choice in other text entry.... ) will go head to head with the Pocket PC Phone edition (like the Jornada 928), and the 7650 will go head to head with Smartphone 2002 (like the Sendo Z100).

The choice is if you want a PDA that doubles as a phone ( Communicator / Jornada 928 ) or a phone that doubles as a PDA. The main function will dictate the main parts of the size and style of the unit, and the second function will add things to that.

Quote:
Not much said about the calendar application - is that because it is pants? Remember, Software Matters.
From what I've seen of it I don't think the software is pants. But these stories until so far are limited by nature as they are just previews, not reviews. That being said, I think it will be most important that the Smartphone 2002 is a good phone. When that is accomplished PDA functionality will distinguish it from the rest of the phones, and in that case you're right: software matters!