Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Foveon X3 exclusive preview

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021103foveonx3preview.asp

Long-time Thoughts readers will know one of my other passions is digital photography. I'm drooling in anticipation of reading a (hopefully) positive review of the Fujifilm Finepix S602 Zoom, at which point I'll do anything to get one. Or so I thought - looking at the sample images in this DPReview article had the effect of making me rethink which camera to get. The X3 sensor is mind-boggling...

"As you can see the sensor's ability to capture detailed resolution, both in the grayscale and colour resolution goes way beyond what we could expect from even the best Bayer pattern sensors. Images from the new Foveon X3 sensor are more reminicent of super high quality slide scans, but go even beyond that with no trace of grain. Very impressive. This could be the first sensor to truly surpass film."

What's YOUR ultimate digital camera?

Old 02-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Kemas
Ponderer
Default $3000 My Stars

Yes, I must admit;;;; increadible picture quality; but $3000.. Ouch. Jason, do you want us to start paying fees for your web service now or later.

Kemas

Old 02-12-2002, 01:20 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

My mind wanders on topics like this. What do I want next to my Point-and-Shoot Ixus 300? Originally I wanted something like the Canon Powershot G2 or Nikon Coolpix 5000? But now I'm thinking more Canon D30 or Olympus E-20. I realized I wanted my next one to be a SLR, with the same functionality and feel of photography as in my old Minolta X700 35mm camera. I still love taking pictures with that one, although it's almost 20 years old now. Although I love digital photography, I think I want the analogue feel of being a photographer. Better start working on my savings account...

Old 02-12-2002, 01:36 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default $3000 My Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemas
Yes, I must admit;;;; increadible picture quality; but $3000.. Ouch. Jason, do you want us to start paying fees for your web service now or later.
If it's easier for you, I can give you my bank account number and you can wire the funds directly. :lol:

Old 02-12-2002, 03:10 AM
michael
Ponderer

Take a Canon S100 shell and put a bigger zoom in it and a 4mega pixel sensor and the ability to take both CF and SD cards and I'll be happy. Built in bluetooth would be the icing on the cake.

Old 02-12-2002, 04:37 AM
RLBogue
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to RLBogue

Jason et all:

Check out USA Today's coverage http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/t...eakthrough.htm

The interesting thing was the commentary about this technology entering consumer cameras.

Rob

Old 02-12-2002, 07:28 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Take a Canon S100 shell and put a bigger zoom in it and a 4mega pixel sensor and the ability to take both CF and SD cards and I'll be happy. Built in bluetooth would be the icing on the cake.
That would be a nice package. I love the portability factor, but I'm longing for a nice beefy SLR form-factor, something I can grip and get get into shooting. It's hard to be serious with the wee S110. ;-)

Old 02-12-2002, 01:08 PM
innersky
Ponderer

If the Canon S40 had SD instead of CF, and a bluetooth module, I'd buy it without hesitating.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:54 PM
werty
Pupil

I just bought Konica KD-300Z.
Small size with 3.3M pixels and supports SD cards.

Old 02-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Sunnyone
Intellectual

I got a Nikon CoolPix 995 (3.3 Mpixels) for Xmas. I love it! I christened it at our Christmas party this year. It was fun to print out pictures for some of our friends to take home with them -- especially for some that had gotten a little too "happy." Blackmail, ain't it wonderful!
I thought the Canons were a little too small for my comfort.