Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-11-2002, 05:56 AM
Tycho Morgan
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tycho Morgan Send a message via AIM to Tycho Morgan Send a message via MSN to Tycho Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Tycho Morgan
Default Treo Ships

http://www.handspring.com

I supose the fact that almost third of my posts to date have been Palm related isn't doing anything for my first impression. I promise I�ll dig up more Pocket PC related stuff soon. :-)

Handspring has started, or will start, shipping the Treo, their new cell phone Palm combo. Some have proclaimed that the Treo is a failure; I on the other hand think it�s a fine use of such an operating system and if they weren�t charging Pocket PC prices for these things, they might actually sell. I think the �everything-in-one-package� idea is a fair one (not original, and not for me) and the integrated keyboard is a good step for Palm, but none of those features really strike me as Earth shattering.

As I said on Tech Musings a while ago in relation to another brilliant and well reasoned Palm product: �I assume [Handspring] has determined that there is an audience that this device will appeal to and is targeting that audience; but quite clearly I am not in any way a part of that audience.�

Old 02-11-2002, 08:43 AM
jake
Pupil
Default PocketPCPaperweight!

I am so sick of my iPAQ PPC and half-baked Active Sync�I am returning to Palm. I intend to buy a Handspring Treo. One thing I initially liked about the PPC was that it had all these cool things it could do. In retrospect, I realize I wasted far, far, far more time showing other people what a PPC could do than I spent actually using or benefiting from those features.

I noticed that the only thing I consistently used the PPC for was the four main things that Palm does better: Calendar, Tasks, To-do and Memo�s. I am thoroughly upset with Microsoft for their lack of real innovation. They could have done a much better Job. ActiveSync is a nightmare and a joke!!

I intend to keep my iPaq for a while and leave it in the cradle on my desktop all the time and simply keep it on the screen for Snoopsoft�s Dashboard so I can always see what the next couple of day�s appointments and tasks look like.

Am I a turncoat? I think not. I was an early adopter of PPC as a matter of fact I came up with the name PocketPCPassion for Dale Coffing�s web site. I am just so disappointed in Microsoft and their lack of innovation and reliability. In the PPC arena Microsoft has been about Symbolism over Substance.

Also PPC�s are a joke when it comes to size. They are way too big and heavy! To draw an analogy, I would say that the PPC is like a 1974 Cadillac Eldorado (huge but inefficient engine and suspension), and the Handspring Treo is like a 2002 Lexus LS430 (Fast, smooth, dependable and effective). The Treo is amazing! It is the size of a deck of cards and has a phone, and email built into it. That is real innovation!!!

I say PocketPCPaperweight! What do you think?

P.S. I Love PocketPC Thoughts. It is my favorite web site and I frequent it more than any other site. My thoughts are simply that Microsoft has dropped the ball.

Old 02-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Big Honkin' Deal
Pupil
Default PocketPCPaperweight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I say PocketPCPaperweight! What do you think?
It looks like a nice device.... if it had a better screen I would consider it as well.

The problem I have with all Palm devices is that after 20 years of sitting in front of computer screens, my eye site just does not allow me to see anything on those, except in ideal light conditions....

You comments regarding Microsoft have some merit though. Right now I'm po'ed myself because I can not send any e-mail with my 3870 and nobody seems to acknowledge that there is a problem with PPC 2002

Frank

Old 02-11-2002, 09:29 AM
jake
Pupil

From what I have heard, the Treo has an extremely easy to read screen. And if you change the typeface to the largest size it makes it much easiier to read. I also heard a rumor that when Handspring releases it color Treo it will use a 320x320 OLED Screen. (Organic Light Emiting Diod.) Asuming this is true, it will look better than than any current PPC and have much better battery performance. Handspring also developed an all-new, larger, standard typeface for the Treo to impove readability.

If it was not for Jeff Hawkings--the CEO of Handspring and inventor of the Palm Pilot--there would be no PocketPC. You don't think he plans to just sit around and let Microsoft eat his lunch for him. Do you?

--------------------------------------------------
The problem I have with all Palm devices is that after 20 years of sitting in front of computer screens, my eye site just does not allow me to see anything on those, except in ideal light conditions....

Old 02-11-2002, 01:48 PM
riverbruce
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to riverbruce

Jake,

My sentiments exactly. After upgrading my Ipaq 3650 to 2002 and then downgrading to 1.87 I continue to realize what you said. I will order and try out the Treo as well.

Bruce

Old 02-11-2002, 02:52 PM
rene_canlas
Pupil

Jake,

I'm happy that you've finally found the device that matches your lifestyle I hope the treo works out for you. However, like cars, some people like to just use their pdas and some people like to tinker with theirs. I belong to the latter and i am perfectly content with my Jornada 568. I agree that activesync is hard to use, but for someone who's been using windows for the past several years, it's nothing new. I've actually reached a comfort level with Activesync where i can pretty much set it up blindfolded I've been able to sync using serial, usb, irda, ethernet, and when my tdk usb bluetooth adapter comes, i'll try that too.

And the pocketpc's have steadily grown smaller and lighter with each iteration. Anyway, for me size is a small price to pay for the flexibility my Jornada gives me.

Lots of luck with the Treo, dude! Post a review when you get it

Old 02-11-2002, 04:02 PM
Kemas
Ponderer
Default Phone & PDA

Okay, I really want to know who in the world really thinks they will carry a PDA phone 24/7. I carry my phone where ever I go all day and all night. Not that I always answer it, only when I want to; but I have it on me. It's small, why not. My iPAQ is great, but why in Hades would I take it everywhere? Until they make a PDA that works with my eye glasses or contacts and is the size of say, my wrist watch; I just won't carry it every where. I didn't even take my Palm V everywhere. I don't need it all of the time and far less than a phone.

I like the idea of having some of the data from my PDA on my phone and if it can do it on the fly with ease even better. But those of you that think you will carry one of this things 24/7; I am pretty sure you are just not thinking it through. Why? It isn't cool. Won't wow the masses and will fill up your pocket or your belt with something that will just bog you down. They are just too big when you factor in they have to have a decent screen (iPAQ size) to be of any real use.

Don't get me wrong, I carry my PDA a great deal of the time. But I don't carry it all of the time. Until the major US mobile carriers start using SIM chips in all their phone models then I just don't see this happening. Before you all say GSM, yep great system; thinking of taking it for a spin myself. Do remember though, that even all the GSM companies road maps show them ending at Wide CDMA and that standard still doesn't have plans for SIM Cards. PDA phones are gimmicks to get us, the early adopters, to spend money on yet another PDA. BTW--Not one has been successful on the market in the states.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:40 PM
riverbruce
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to riverbruce
Default Phone & PDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemas
Okay, I really want to know who in the world really thinks they will carry a PDA phone 24/7. I carry my phone where ever I go all day and all night. Not that I always answer it, only when I want to; but I have it on me. It's small, why not. My iPAQ is great, but why in Hades would I take it everywhere? Until they make a PDA that works with my eye glasses or contacts and is the size of say, my wrist watch; I just won't carry it every where. I didn't even take my Palm V everywhere. I don't need it all of the time and far less than a phone.

I carry my PDA and Voicestream phone everywhere I go. Like you, I do not always answer it. My memory is not all that keen and having the PDA to serve up reminders is extremely helpful. As a pastor I'm always having to jot down things. I even take my phone and PDA sea kayaking. Sometime I'm using the PDA to play tunes while paddling and other times to read e-books around the campfire at night after a days paddle. The phone provides a measure of safety as I often paddle solo.

I like the idea of having some of the data from my PDA on my phone and if it can do it on the fly with ease even better. But those of you that think you will carry one of this things 24/7; I am pretty sure you are just not thinking it through. Why? It isn't cool. Won't wow the masses and will fill up your pocket or your belt with something that will just bog you down. They are just too big when you factor in they have to have a decent screen (iPAQ size) to be of any real use.

That's exactly the point. It's not cool... just very practical to have it all in one device. And while others in this category have not been successful, this one's got success written all over it IMHO. I just think they got it right, certainly much closer than anyone else. Fact is, I, like Jake, spent too much time trying to "wow the masses" and have finally settled done to root needs and issues. I'm also looking forward to being able to use Pocket Quicken which will really be a helpful addition.

Don't get me wrong, I carry my PDA a great deal of the time. But I don't carry it all of the time. Until the major US mobile carriers start using SIM chips in all their phone models then I just don't see this happening. Before you all say GSM, yep great system; thinking of taking it for a spin myself. Do remember though, that even all the GSM companies road maps show them ending at Wide CDMA and that standard still doesn't have plans for SIM Cards. PDA phones are gimmicks to get us, the early adopters, to spend money on yet another PDA. BTW--Not one has been successful on the market in the states.

GSM has worked great for me for the last 2 years. The Treo is also upgradeable to 2.5 G and should be available mid-year. Perhaps I'll offset the cost of the Treo by selling my Ipaq and accessories... perhaps.

Anyway, I've just completed my order and am having it express shipped to me. I should have it in 3-5 days and will post a brief review after a week or so of use. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Ipaq, even considering the quirkiness of the 2002 upgrade. I just feel that the Treo will offer me more of what I do most. We'll see. I too love PocketPCThoughts and really missed it when it was down. I check it multiple times a day. Thanks Jason for your labor of love in this.

Bruce www.riverontheweb.com

Old 02-11-2002, 04:53 PM
jimg72
Neophyte

I've went from Palm to CE back to Palm and now own an iPaq but I'm seriously considering a Treo. I love everything my iPaq does but need the core four(inbox, contacts, calendar, & tasks) and a phone more than I need to carry both around. The price is the only thing keeping me from switching at the moment. And waiting for the color version

Old 02-11-2002, 05:08 PM
TMAN
Ponderer

I too have been a long time user of Windows CE devices since the Velo 1 days. I took a trip to Circuit City the other day and looked at the Sony CLIE T615. That is one beautiful device. I am ashamed to admit I was pretty close to buying it.

I have an Ericsson T68, iPAQ 3870, modified Dual sleeve with, 800 MB PC Card, and Socket WLAN Card. I was asking myself if I needed all of this all the time but I am not sure I can give it up.
Current: iPhone, HTC AdvantagePast: 200LX,Newton 120,MP 2100,PalmPilot,Velo1, 620LX,660LX,HP's 680,690,568,REX5000,TriPad,Clio-1050,z50,E-115,E-125,Visor Prism,Aero 2130, iPAQs 3650,3670,3850,3870,5450, Toshiba e740, 128MB iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 5555, Treo 600, Treo 650, PPC-6700