Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-10-2002, 01:36 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default PDAsync from Laplink

http://www.laplink.com/products/pdasync/overview.asp

Did anyone else know that Laplink made Pocket PC sync software? If you're looking for an alternative to ActiveSync and don't mind spending $29.95, check this out.

"PDAsync is the ultimate handheld sync software, which allows you to synchronize your calendar, contacts, tasks and e-mail between your mobile devices and applications on your PC. PDAsync goes beyond your proprietary PDA software because it works with all major personal organizer software applications on the market....

PDAsync�s menu lets you select exactly what you want to sync based on category. For example, you can sync your e-mail based on date, file size and more. Or, you can sync your calendar for a specific time period such as the next 2 weeks. Would you like to sync individual contacts, instead of your complete contact list? With PDAsync, you can selectively sync the information that is critical to you. It�s the fastest, easiest to use and most flexible product available!"

The products seems to have some glitches though - look at what this ZDNET UK article said:

"We installed the PDAsync under Windows XP Professional, which took just five minutes with no pain involved. Getting it to recognise a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC device was not so easy, however. A call to LapLink's technical support established that PDAsync requires Microsoft's ActiveSync to be running if it's to synchronise with a PocketPC device..."

Old 02-10-2002, 01:44 AM
James
Intellectual

So, what's the point if it requires ActiveSync to work? I'd like to see someone come out with something that would let me sync my desktop at work, 2 desktops at home, a laptop, and 2 PDAs...and not require ActiveSync!

Old 02-10-2002, 05:23 AM
vetteguy
Ponderer

So how is this product any different from IntelliSync? That program is completely pointless, as it too requires ActiveSync and basically duplicates it's functionality.

Old 02-10-2002, 09:49 AM
innersky
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
So, what's the point if it requires ActiveSync to work? I'd like to see someone come out with something that would let me sync my desktop at work, 2 desktops at home, a laptop, and 2 PDAs...and not require ActiveSync!
Syncml would be the solution to this.

Old 02-10-2002, 05:31 PM
James
Intellectual

Indeed, but I've been waiting for SyncML for so long I think I'll be dead before it really shows up 8O

Old 02-10-2002, 10:03 PM
carphead
Thinker

PDASync is just a cheap badged version of XTNDConnect. The Tech Support is awful and it doesn't support 2002 yet (Spring).

Avoid it.

Old 02-18-2002, 08:09 PM
philfp
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Indeed, but I've been waiting for SyncML for so long I think I'll be dead before it really shows up 8O
Oh let's be fair... SyncML is actually one of the more agreed-upon standards in this arena. The biggest problem is that good ol' MS is conspicuous in its absence on the list of companies supporting the standard.

As, I'm sure you know, www.syncml.org has all the details.

Phil