Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default IBM to Unveil Index Card-Size Computer Prototype

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020206/tc/tech_ibm_portable_dc.html

This device doesn't have a screen, but it represents a new paradigm in portable computing where you bring your PC with you and plug into a docking station to use it. IBM isn't the first to try this - there are several products on the market now that perform the same functions. I'm sure this IBM device will have some unique benefits, but it will be hard for it to break out of the niche market it's competitors are currently in.

"The portable computing device, which IBM Research will unveil on Feb. 11 at a technology conference in Phoenix, Arizona, includes 128 megabytes of dynamic random access memory, a 10-gigabit hard drive and a microprocessor -- which is the brain of the computer -- that runs at 800 megahertz, or 800 million cycles per second.

...Code-named ``MetaPad'', the module is 5 inches long, 3 inches wide and about three-quarters of an inch thick. The module fits into a larger accessory piece that features a small, flat screen on front and is about 6 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick. The index-card sized module can also be plugged into a docking station for a personal computer, enabling the user to move all of his or her information and applications from one location to another. It runs Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP (news - web sites) operating system." Source: Various

Old 02-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

There is some more info on IBM's site along with a couple pictures:
http://www.research.ibm.com/resource..._metapad.shtml

They note its uses, one of which is "Attach it to a small touch screen and carry it like a handheld personal digital assistant, but with all the power and functionality of a desktop." I think maybe IBM should make a modified version that is actually a PDA. Pack it with that 10gb hard drive they have in there and they could blow away the competition.

Old 02-06-2002, 09:29 PM
wiredguy
Ponderer
Default Image...

Here is an image found in a related News.com article:

IMHO, I think the PC giants (IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc) have to come together and create a standard for Meta Pad-like accessories and/or peripherals. If that could happen, then this idea would take off... however, I'm almost 100% certain IBM would never do that :lol:. The idea probably already has 50 different patents pending 8).

Old 02-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger
Default Image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredGuy
...create a standard for Meta Pad-like accessories and/or peripherals...
That would be great if the connection for periperials was standerized and used in multiple product from different manufatures. Then companies like IBM wouldn't have to worry about making everything for the device, just a good device. That is one flaw I see in a product like the Sony CLIE series is the use of the memory stick. I think that is one great thing about the PC is that most of the connections are standardized (usb, serial, firewire, etc) so that you can use any products with your PC.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:13 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default I don't see the point...

I think this is a non starter as a hardware concept, but as an OS function it would be quite nice...

You can already pull the hard drive out of your main PC and slot it into another one, but there are BIG issues with windows booting if the hardware is not the same. Wouldn't WindowsXP keep asking you to phone Microsoft each time you plugged it into a different piece of hardware to reauthorise the product activation system... :lol:

Anyway, a portable device has low power consumption as one of its main design parameters, while for a desktop machine it is not so important - would you really want to use a 800MHz Crusoe with 128Mb RAM instead of a Pentium X with 3Gb.

Therefore, all that is required is the portablility of the storage medium and change everything else... but then would you really want to be carrying your computer 'life' around all the time... which leads to some form of transparant activesync of all data created wherever you may be (using a form of Lotus Notes or similar) ensuring all information is available whever you are...

My 2c

Old 02-06-2002, 10:19 PM
wiredguy
Ponderer
Default I don't see the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
You can already pull the hard drive out of your main PC and slot it into another one, but there are BIG issues with windows booting if the hardware is not the same. Wouldn't WindowsXP keep asking you to phone Microsoft each time you plugged it into a different piece of hardware to reauthorise the product activation system... :lol:
Great point! I wonder how IBM plans to get around that. Perhaps XP will be locked to the Meta Pad unit, and not it's accessories.

Anyway, it's a cool idea, but I don't think it'll ever make it to market. It also goes against the .NET idea that user content will be available anywhere over the Internet. Who needs to carry an HDD around if your data is stored online... if .NET is successful .

Old 02-07-2002, 02:01 AM
garretwp
Pupil

Well you have to understand, not much of the hardware will change as most, if not all of it, which i am guessing its all in the device will not change. so you will not have to worry about windows xp trying to ask for a new reg code etc. Not only that but windows xp pro does not offer that feature and you can do as much upgrades as you want and not have to worry about there stupid reg. process.

garrett

Old 02-08-2002, 07:40 PM
BrianCooksey
Pupil

Actually, I think this is entirely on-topic.

I really appreciate my pocket PC. It is very convenient to be able to have access to a subset of the information and functionality that I keep on my main machine. However, there are costsant limitations that really bug me:

It's a subset of my data
It's a subset of the functionality
I pay twice for hardware and software
I have to synchronize and maintain two systems
I'm running two different OS's (CE and Windows du jour)

The PPC offers me two key advantages over my main machine which is a laptop:

more portable
instant-on

For these, I sacrifice the singularity and homogeneity of lugging my laptop all over creation. (Funny how a few years makes the laptop seem like a pain when it was such freedom early on... whiner!)

I don't want to whip out a laptop at the checkout counter to record my budget entry... or in a conversation to enter a calendar change... or to look up some urgent piece of reference information.

The kind of power that could be packed into a "slightly oversized" PPC can handle most of my non-development/server business needs. I would gladly accept a slightly larger unit to have the same station available anywhere.

Additionally, when I'm out and about, I only need a small with handwriting recognition (slow input) screen for quick reference/entry. When I'm in focused work mode, being able to switch the same content and power to a better form (keyboard/larger screen) would be very helpful.

This represents _exactly_ where I want to see my PPC go... a system that is fully compatible with... no, that IS my main machine and useful wherever I am. If I need more than the basic panel, I can carry a laptop-style keyboard/monitor sandwich and dock on-location. Otherwise, I just carry the unit as a PDA.

Additionally, I could get away from having two operating systems (CE and Windows). Even though they share interface definitions and development environments, they are for all practical purposes two OS's - my binaries aren't portable, much of my must be translated on sync.

I really hope this represents a near-future convergence path.

Old 02-09-2002, 02:09 AM
James
Intellectual
Default Image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadave
That would be great if the connection for periperials was standerized and used in multiple product from different manufatures. Then companies like IBM wouldn't have to worry about making everything for the device, just
I'd like to see more use of wireless connections. Having a mobile KVM for my desktop system would be just too cool. Then all the noisy boxes go in the closet.