Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Registering vs. Anonymous

Those of you who have been with us a while will know the struggles we sometimes have with anonymous posters who feel insulting others is the best thing they can do with their time. Because of this, I feel that a true exchange of ideas will best be fostered by having a community of people who take the time to register to use it. There's something "fun" about anonymous comments, but the concept was abused too often. I hope you all agree that registration is a small inconvenience compared to the benefits involved for everyone. What do YOU think?

Old 02-05-2002, 08:34 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

I agree registering is the only way to go, the only way to build a true community.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

...of course, you'll notice that for some reason you DON'T have to register to post comments. Hmm. I could have sworn I had it set to force registration, but it looks like I still have a ways to go before I undertand phpBB fully. Oh well - enjoy it while it lasts! :roll:

(I do hope you all register though - it adds a lot of benefits for us both...)

Old 02-05-2002, 08:49 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Agreed

I am more than happy to register. It makes alot of sense, and I hope it cuts down on the garbage. Once again Jason, thank you for the great site.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:52 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

hey am i the first registered? sweet if i am..... yeah me!!! :P

Old 02-05-2002, 08:54 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

oops that was me i forgot to log in....hmmm can't edit..... annonymous post.... doh!

Old 02-05-2002, 09:30 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Very Nice Interface Here

Of course, one man's joke is another man's obscenity. What makes one person laugh will make another weep in shock horror.

But registration is probably the best bet and since every other community I'm a part of requires registration, I don't see why this should be any different.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:50 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default register

It's not so bad... :twisted:

Old 02-05-2002, 10:35 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Jason,

Actually I've never been confronted with unacceptable "thoughts" on your site, so I don't think this is an issue [although I don't read all threads].

PLease don't fall for overly political correctness of a swearwords-free community.

I've experienced several discussionboards where it certainly was necesserary to moderate the comments because the flaming disrupted the discussions.
However in the discussions on your site this isn't the issue [yet].
If this will happen in time you can always start with measures like obligatory registration. For now it's premature.

I think your community posters, all interested in PocketPC [why else visite this site ?], have too much in common concerning the subjects on this site. The only heated discussions [luke warm] are the ones concerning which hardware is better, with some true believers in certain brands.

So I think that unlike for instance Brighthand, with Palm and PocketPC "believers", the risk of disrupted discussions is very low and the few occurrances can be resolved with simply removing the unacceptable comments [which is your perogative because it is your site].

I think that in respect of the character of your site, a free exchange of thoughts concerning PocketPC related info, anonymous posting should be possible.

Actually most discussions on the internet [with or without registering] are anonymous. I can use each name I like to and register a many times I'd like if removed from the "acceptable posters" list.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:42 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Well, as a nice boy I off course have registered.

:roll: Former thought was mine.