Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Discussion board taxonomy?

So now that we have a more flexible back-end, with a true discussion board, what do we do with it? Do we create a forum similar to BrightHand & Pocket PC Passion, with forums for each Pocket PC? Or do we allow people to post to the front page forums like HARDWARE and SOFTWARE, and continue using the taxonomy that we have now?

The advantage of the former is that we keep the "front page" content separate from the discussion board content, which makes it easier for you to find things later on. The "public" site can evolve into whatever you want it to.

The advantage of keeping the current taxonomy is that we end up with a smaller, tighter overall feel. However, over time with a lot of public threads it might get a little unwieldy.

Cast your vote!

Old 02-05-2002, 09:23 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Well, Im not quite sure where to enter a vote, but I really like what youve done with the board so far. I like it the way you have it right now. Every other site is the same, so this layout makes you unique. But personally, Id be cool with whatever you guys chose to do. This just makes it extra straight forward and keeps people a little more on topic in terms of posting comments about new items on the homepage. Or perhaps you could implement both board layouts. This layout for comments about homepage items, and the other layout for everything else. Just a thought.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:55 AM
harry
Pupil
Default It's a good thing

I really like the idea of mulitple fourms. It's nice to able to look up information on a specific item and not have to sift though non-realted items.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:38 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

I can't see how to "vote" either, but please keep the same (old) format. Apart from anything else, this site is quicker to load than many, with fewer banners, side-bars, animations etc.. What you DO provide is lots of interesting and up to date news and comments with a few pictures to help. I would guess that most people only visit your home page, with the occasional excursion into a discussion.

What you have now is excellent. Why change just because that's what the others are doing?

Thank you for a very interesting site!

Old 02-05-2002, 11:38 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Currently, the forum requires you to be registered to participate in a poll. So if you'd like to vote, register and you'll be able to do that. Non registered users can post their comments, but can't post a vote.

To make things more clear: the choices you make here have nothing to do with the front page. That one will remain the one it is now: about three days of content and easy to be read on the Pocket PC. This question regards just the way the discussion forum is setup. Like the other boards ( which means, generic topic and device specific topics, next to the comments on our posts on the frontpage) or just keep the current categories (which you can see right now) and open them up for new entries for you, the reader of the site.

Old 02-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Joe Bogner
Pupil

The current board index looks good. I would like to see hardware broken down into specific PPC/Manufacturers if possible though. This would allow for browsing of more specific hardware posts.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Old 02-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Mike P
Neophyte
Default I love the current format

Having user replies to new stories on the front page is very useful. I've made buying decisions based on it and find it one of the biggest attractions about your site. I do also love the idea of a typical board somewhere else on your site.

ONE THING THOUGH: I USE TO BE ABLE TO VIEW THE COMMENTS AND REPLY ON MY PPC AND NOW, EVEN WITH LANDSCAPE MODE, I HAVE TO SCROLL AND THE REPLY AND NEW POST BUTTONS DON'T WORK.

Old 02-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Tycho Morgan
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tycho Morgan Send a message via AIM to Tycho Morgan Send a message via MSN to Tycho Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Tycho Morgan
Default The old way

Keep it the way it was. If I wanted to visit a site like bright hand, I'd go to bright hand. I think what makes this site unique is the cohession of the comunity, and the type of the content. I wouldn't moneky with that.

Cheers,
Sam

Old 02-05-2002, 03:26 PM
charlie
Pupil
Default category layout

I like how it is now. With the current setup, if you want to view ipaq related articles, it is easy to just run a search for ipaq and get good results. But if the site were divided up by devices and you wanted to view software specific postings, running a search for software would most likely return a ton of garbage matches.

but I think there are too many categories. column seems redundant and could be folded into review. Event could be folded into news. Maybe you could merge development and step by step since both would contain posts searching for technical help. And maybe you should edit the description for the software category to mention something about bugs so people know where to put bug related posts.

with lots of similar categories, I think people are going to post to multiple sections very often because more than one would be relevant to their topic. Also, someone who just checks news might never hear of events that they might be interested in. just some thoughts...

--charlie

Old 02-05-2002, 04:27 PM
James
Intellectual

I like the way it is now, tho I almost think there are too many categories... One of the things I hate about most sites is there are just way to many forums...makes it impossible to keep up with what's going on.