Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket PC Thoughts is resurrected...sort of

What a weekend! The day I start moving into a new house, the server fails. I spent the entire weekend moving boxes, unpacking boxes, and assembling Ikea furniture, trying to get an Internet connection, all the while hoping that Chris Edwards and his PHP skills could pull off the challenge of ressurecting this site in 48 hours. He did it! Chris, I owe you one.

So what are you seeing here? We've quickly tied together phpBB, a PHP-based freeware discussion board forum that is well-known for it's stability and speed. Chris had created a custom modification for his own site that allowed certain posts to be tagged as "front page news". So on the back-end you have the power and flexibility of a full-featured discussion board, and on the front end you have a web-logging style interface. The best of both worlds!

I can't stress this enough: we have a long way to go. The previous year and a half of content will be imported to create a rich, searchable database of content (I hope). I've collected hundreds of pages of content that people have emailed in, so we'll try to get that into the system. We're also working on a new template that will make the front-end on a desktop PC more interesting, and on the Pocket PC it will get leaner and meaner.

The blow that was dealt when we lost all that content was frustrating, but ultimately this site is focused on the future, not the past. I've always had a vision for what this site could be, and we're just starting to move towards it...

Old 02-05-2002, 08:19 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Congradulations Jason! It's nice to see the site back up again. Panic was just about ready to set in. Good work on pulling it together.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:28 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Panic? I felt it!!

Panic DID set in here, I missed the site very much. Had no idea Jason you where moving, just a tad more stress to add there eh? Well as I said in an email I sent, we still owe you MUCH for putting together the best PPC website out there and standing behind it with so much effort and time. My sincere thanks for it.

And its so nice to see you guys back!!

This BBS is beautiful, a lot better than the old one BUT two questions... 1. isn't it going to be more expensive bandwidth-wise? 2. How is this going to look in my PPC screen? (well I dont do wireless but I know people who read pocketpcthoughts.com from their ppc.

BTW my iPaq is over Compaq service. Blew it up. Connected it to a 12V powersource by error. One of those multivoltage adapters, had the voltage selection switche in wrong pos. I heard a buzz, it smelled bad... funny thing is the iPaq is still working, but it does not taka a charge. Opened it up, and a surface mounted component nead the DC entrance is fused... darn, yesterday was a BAD day and to top it off... I cannot try the new pocketinformant.

Best wishes Jason and company, thanks again!

Juan Miguel Venturello

Old 02-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

We have a LOT of work do to with some new templates, so you're right, this current phpBB default template won't look good on the Pocket PC. This is just an emergency patch...things will improve. :lol:

Old 02-05-2002, 09:03 AM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

The sad subtext of your mishap is an important one: if it's important, back it up.

Glad you're on line again.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:23 AM
Chris Forsberg
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Chris Forsberg

Congratulations Jason!

It's really great you're up an running again and I think that the forums look great. Nice to be one of the first members here!

Keep up the good work and be sure to take some off-site backups :wink:

Old 02-05-2002, 09:59 AM
harry
Pupil
Default Wow!

The site looks good!! And moving just sucks. Congrats on your new house!!

Old 02-05-2002, 10:02 AM
nwarren
Pupil

Great new look! I didn't realise how many times I visit Thoughts, until I started getting really fed up with 'Clunk...' !!!

I haven't had a chance to check, but I presume Thoughts is still available via Avantgo? (I haven't managed to get on with Mazingo yet!!)

I hope the new house proves to be a dream come true.

Old 02-05-2002, 12:39 PM
michael
Ponderer

Welcome Back!

Old 02-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

Welcome back! I'm recovering quite nicely from the effects of PocketPCThoughts.com withdrawl