Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Suhit Gupta
Editor Emeritus
Default LaCie Takes Big Disk Extreme+ to 2 TB

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/13622/lacie_takes_big_disk_extreme_to_2_tb

"LaCie has unwrapped its Big Disk Extreme+, sporting a 2 TB capacity, three interfaces (FireWire 400, FireWire 800, and USB), and bundled Retrospect backup software. Accessory and peripheral maker LaCie has taken the wraps off its Big Disk Extreme+ external hard drive, pushing the line's capacity to 2 TB. "LaCie is excited to introduce this high-capacity solution for professional users," said Olivier Mirloup, LaCie Hard Disk Drive Business Unit Manager, in a release. "The Big Disk Extreme+ is a triple threat with high-performance storage, high capacity and a user-friendly quick backup feature for data safety and recovery." The new unit offers three interfaces�two FireWire 800 ports, one FireWire 400 port, and a USB 2.0 port�along with a LaCie Shortcut Button which can be used to launch any document or application with just a press: we recommend that it launch the bundled EMC Retrospect backup program for either Windows or Mac OS X."

While the 2TB should have me salivating, I am very worried about the fact that they have the drives in a RAID 0 configuration. While it certainly gets you the higher performance, I usually tend to think of external hard drives as a safe and solid (albeit performant) backup solution. With a RAID 0 config, if you lose one drive, you have lost all your data. I would much prefer RAID 1, 5 or 1+0, or even JBOD to RAID 0 in a backup system that I believe LaCie is targetting. On a completely separate note - could LaCie use add any more adjectives to the name of this product (Big, Exterme, +)?