¹ Altec Lansing FX5051 USB 5.1 Surround Speakers Review - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Suhit Gupta
Editor Emeritus
Default Altec Lansing FX5051 USB 5.1 Surround Speakers Review

http://www.everythingusb.com/altec_lansing_fx5051.html

"It seems that Altec Lansing is finally making a comeback when it comes to desktop audio outside of the OEM sets they manufacture for Dell. Their latest product, the FX5051 boldly stands out spec and design-wise from the typical Creative and Logitech sets we're accustomed to seeing, and one-ups the whole market by being the first 5.1 channel speaker system to incorporate a USB input! On to the review... Gone are the days of seeing boring black rectangles on your desk, as Altec Lansing has taken a more angular approach with their latest offering. While silver and black is nothing new (but I still love the color scheme), what gives the FX5051 speakers their unique look is the fact that each of the five separate speakers is shaped like an irregular pentagon with a broad face and a square base that's angled straight at you. Each unit houses a 40mm midrange driver and an 18mm high frequency tweeter, consuming a modest 12 Watts of power, except for the center channel which uses 13 Watts."

I have been using Altec Lansing speakers for a really long time now (easily over 6 years) and it looks like the FX5051 are a great new set to own. What makes them different from most others is that they are USB based speakers which is a great solution for laptops IMHO. I just wish they had S/PDIF inputs for gaming consoles since I really don't like having two sets of speakers for various devices. Unfortunately, these cool speakers will set you back over $200.