¹ The Lamest Product Launch Ever? - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Lamest Product Launch Ever?

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-04-19T044652Z_01_N18305414_RTRUKOC_0_US-HDDVD.xml

"HD-DVD players and software went on sale Tuesday at Best Buy and other select retailers, and a trickle of early adopters came to buy, even though only three movies are available. "The only people who bought are the hard-cores," one industry observer said. More high-definition titles will begin hitting stores next week, but with only three -- Warner Home Video's "The Last Samurai" and "Phantom of the Opera" and Universal Studios Home Entertainment's "Serenity" -- in stores when players hit the show floor Tuesday, there hardly was a stampede of consumers. When a Best Buy in Costa Mesa, Calif., opened at 10 a.m., four copies of "Samurai" and a single copy of "Phantom" were stocked in a display at the front of the store, equipped with a lounge chair and a high-definition TV. A customer looked at the two titles but bought neither, saying he was disappointed by the selection. A nearby Fry's Electronics store had "Samurai" and "Phantom" in endcaps, but no player on display."

I wasn't expecting much for the North American launch of HD-DVD, but this is so bad it swept under my bar of expectation without moving the air. Yikes! It sounds like the Wal-Mart launch mentioned in the article will have more oomph behind it, but how can you launch a product with three movies? That's just sad, like me in a sprinting contest.