Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default "Fight the Power" Slogan Growing Weak, Even for Microsoft Employees

http://www.shahine.com/omar/CommentView,guid,4cfb854a-f710-4bb8-a3b0-773fcc2c212e.aspx

"Here is the deal. For over a year now I�ve been trying to look for a device that is > the iPod. In that time Apple has constantly moved the needle forward in a number of areas. We are still far behind, and in all likelihood, when we catch up, Apple will have something like this...I�m beginning to change my mind about things. Even though we have a great eco system for music stores etc, the reality is that our OEM partners are never ever going to create a product like the iPod. They are simply no match for the iPod Dock Connector, which as generated an ecosystem of hardware that�s probably more lucrative than the online music business."

This post was made by a Microsoft employee who, like many people I know, are trying to avoid going the iPod route. Everyone seems to have a different reason, but this post and the follow-up comments definitely echoed things I've heard on the topic before. I have a Creative Zen Vision:M and while it's not perfect, I really enjoy using it and have no serious complaints about it. On the other hand, my family and I bought my father an iPod Nano for Christmas a few months ago, and while the hardware was definitely impressive, using iTunes was a new experience in how much software can suck. It was just a colossal disaster in terms of me making it do what I wanted (import MP3s that I had previously ripped) - there was only one way, the Apple way, and if you don't want to do it their way you're utterly out of luck.