¹ What's In a Name? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus
Default What's In a Name?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=10950

""The creative strategy was quite simple: Don't try to be like iPod or to beat iPod," he said. Instead, he had to "create a new word that will help Microsoft to create a distinct personality." Placek put three teams of two people each to work. One team was told to name Sony's breakthrough MP3 player, and another was told to name a broadband experience for MTV. The third team was clued in to all the Microsoft information."

So how does a company, known for such roll-off-the-tongue product names as "Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC" come up with a name like Zune? Well, you hire a company with an impressive naming resume with such hits as BlackBerry, PowerBook and OnStar. The folks over The Technology Chronicles give a little inside look into what went into the selection of the Zune name. Check out the article if you've ever wondered how much work actually goes into the naming process for such a product. How do you think they did? What do you think of the Zune brand name?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:19 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I like the name Zune...I like saying it. It really sounds fun to me.

Zune zune zune! Sounds so close to zoom.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

That's funny, I made those comments without reading the whole article and the feeling that the word generates with me is exactly the one they want it to. Psychology is cool