Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Designtechnica Reviews the Casio EX-S500

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review3228.html

"Mindboggling. That�s the only way to describe the ultra-tiny new 5-megapixel digicam from Casio. I�ve handled the vast majority of compact 5MP models with large LCD screens but the Casio Exilim Card EX-S500 is even smaller than the competition. And while camera�s LCD is screen is not as large as say the Sony T series (2.2 versus 2.5 inches), the overall package is appealing�on paper. Unfortunately this camera is far from perfection personified but it is a tour de force of miniaturization. Now if they only spent as much time on photo quality�"

A fairly damning review from Design Technica - what makes it worse is that this is the camera that I own. ;-) The size and aesthetic design of the S500 are top notch - it gets wows from people whenever I take it out. In decent lighting conditions, or subjects within range of it's flash, it takes decent pictures - much better than any other ultra-small camera that I looked at. In low lighting conditions, the noise is quite bad. I looked at a lot of different cameras, and all small sized cameras seemed to have small sensors. And the smaller the sensor, the greater the digital noise (in general). I was shocked to see that the review complained about the speed of picture taking - that's one of the things that I feel the S500 excels at.

The review commented that it took a while to save the picture to the SD card, which could be caused by the type of SD card that was used. The shutter lag - how long it takes to snap the picture when you press the shutter - is very low. The 640 x 480 video clips look excellent - much better than any other still camera I've seen. Overall, the S500 is a nice camera with a lot going for it, but there are some compromises with image quality. I have yet to see a camera this size that takes truly excellent pictures, but am looking forward to the day one exists.