Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee
Default MusicGiants - Download WMA Lossless Audio to your Digital Music Player

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2005/tc2005062_3663_tc024.htm

"If you're listening to compressed music using your iPod earbuds, you won't notice much difference [from a CD]," says Scott Bahneman, founder and chief executive of tiny startup MusicGiants. "But once you play it on a good home stereo, the difference is huge." Bahneman hopes to close that gap, and position MusicGiants to take a high-end niche in the fast-growing "digital home" market. This summer, his 15-person outfit will launch the first service that sells online music at CD-equivalent fidelity -- what Bahneman calls "high-definition music." MusicGiants has licensed the music of all five major record labels, which it will sell in a "lossless" format, defined by Microsoft, that results in digital songs that equal the quality of CDs."

Hey, you've got that huge hard drive based digital music player, why not actually fill it up. I usually don't buy songs from iTunes because I don't like the poor bitrates and I don't consider the ones available using WMA high enough to burn to a CD, then rip into MP3. I've always wished for Apple to release Apple Lossless versions of the downloads (I'd even pay a premium for them) but nothing has happened. Now MusicGiants seems to be jumping into that market with WMA Lossless. I think this service is definitely worth a try.