Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Filip Norrgard
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Filip Norrgard
Default Is anyone here familiar with SpeedFan? :)

Hi everybody,

Is anyone here familiar with SpeedFan?

I've got an "old" AMD Athlon XP 1700+, Windows XP Pro, 768 MB RAM, and with a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. The problem appeared yesterday when I was testing watching a channel from an external digital TV box (DVB-C) composite input to a WinTV analog card (complicated I know) and started another application. The result: total system lock-up with only the sound being the only thing continuing. :?

Next, I rebooted, tried to log in... nothing, no mouse movements, keyboard response, etc. The d*mn thing locked up again! :x Ok, so I hitted the reset button and tried again. This time I could log in but after a while, before I could open any programs, it locked up again! :roll: The fourth reset (or at least the xth time; where x is an integer greater than 3) did let me start using the computer again.

I have tried troubleshooting the event log (result: nothing there), and looking for viruses/trojans/worms/pest/adwares/spywares (result: nothing). Hence, I concluded that it might be a hardware problem. The first thing that comes into my mind was the heat in the chassis. I opened the case a bit, just incase the problem is heat. I also downloaded SpeedFan to see the temps and possible problems.

Well, guess what, there is a sensor called Temp3 that jumps from 30 Celcius to smokin' 50 (and everything inbetween) while I'm running non-graphics intensive programs! 8O Now, my problem is to find that sensor. Do you know where I can possibly find the sensor?

The other temperatures are quite OK, with the 7000 RPM Maxtor SATA drive mostly staying below 50 degrees and the processor quite steadily at 45 degrees. I've been thinking of putting some extra fans in the casing to keep my computer a whole lot cooler, but I wonder if I should first change graphics card to an ATI. :P The case isn't the best one either: I would need to cut out some holes for the fans, if I am to place them on the case. Not that there is much space for extra fans either. :roll:

Any one got tips on getting better cooling crammed in a "small" case?