Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default i, cringely: "Divide and Conquer: Why Apple Has an iPod Division"

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040520.html

"The news, broken Wednesday by the New York Times, was that Apple was creating a separate iPod division because the little music players are such a huge success. Conventional business school wisdom also says that starting a separate division is a way of isolating startup costs, making them more obvious to Wall Street and thus minimizing negative impacts because of course, even Apple has to spend money to make money. Or, like 3Com did with Palm Computing (and even Apple once did with Claris before changing its mind), you can structure a division to spin-off or have a separate IPO. This all makes sense on the surface, but then I recalled something I was told more than 20 years ago by a much younger Steve Jobs. Back then Apple had three divisions � Apple II, Lisa, and Macintosh. Why have separate divisions? �Because it�s easier to shut one down,� said Steve..."

A great article by Robert X. Cringely - I changed around the email address I was receiving his editorials to, and I stopped receiving them. I didn't realize how much I missed reading them until now. Great read! Do you think he's on to something? Can you see Apple moving away from their core computing role?