¹ Bit Rate Calculators - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Old 03-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Bit Rate Calculators

In a video project, sometimes you'll end up with a lot of footage, and you need to cram it all onto one disc. This requires you to encode it at a specific bit rate (quality) in order to make it all fit. The question is, how do you know what bit rate you need to use? That's where bit rate calculators come in: you punch in the values that you do know, like the length of the video in minutes and the storage medium (CD, DVD), and the bit rate calculator does the rest. Here are a few that I've found that you might find useful:

• DVDRHelp has a very powerful bit rate calculator, but it requires Java. <bleh>
• Digital Video Information's Javascript-based bit rate calculator.
• Need DivX only? Here's a Javascript-based one.
• Looking for an offline program to do bit rate calculations on DivX files? There's a free one from Digital Digest.

The most powerful browser-based one I've found though is at DVD-HQ. Their bit rate calculator goes far deeper than most of the others, and includes some definitions for terms like Rate Control and GOP Structure that still elude me after reading them over twice. 8O Any other good bit rate calculators that I missed, such as a stand-alone EXE file for local use?