Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon Launches the Moto Q9m as Expected

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3176&changingCompletedOrder=

As expected, Motorola and Verizon launched the new Q9m yesterday. It's available under the business section of the website and is listed at $249.99 with a 2 year contract. The Q9m runs Windows Mobile 6 Standard and the Verizon site indicates that it can be used as a "tethered modem". In the past, I thought Verizon was removing that feature from their phones. It's nice to see carriers supporting the use of your phone as a internet gateway for your other devices. If you're a Verizon customer and you've been waiting for a new phone, this is a good one to grab, in my opinion anyway. I'm holding out for the GSM version due out in a little while. CDMA and me just don't seem to get along.

Update: Looks like you can't link to a specific phone on the Verizon site.  If you follow the above link, you will need to click PDA & Smartphone and then select the Moto Q9m.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
scottb
Theorist

Regarding tethering, Verizon Wireless offers a tethering "add-on" to your unimited data plan for $15 (USD) per month. This feature allows you to use the Modem Link option on the Q to tether.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
cortez
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to cortez Send a message via MSN to cortez

in my opinion, the Q9 specs don't offer a compelling reason to "upgrade" to this phone. it looks like the "old-Q" in a "new skin"... add more memory and internal GPS and i'd reconsider getting this device.

Last edited by cortez; 08-23-2007 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Mark Larson
Theorist

Verizon never removed the ability to tether from your phone, they just removed the workaround that let you use the EV-DO network at the cost of airtime minutes. Even when Verizon was crippling Bluetooth left and right, it left the DUN profile unscathed.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
in my opinion, the Q9 specs don't offer a compelling reason to "upgrade" to this phone. it looks like the "old-Q" in a "new skin"... add more memory and internal GPS and i'd reconsider getting this device.
I wouldn't say it offers nothing. However, I do agree with adding a GPS and more memory. The first Smartphone to add either of those will be at the top of my want list.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Direct link in case anyone is looking: http://estore.vzwshop.com/qmusic/