Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Use Caution When Using Windows Live Messenger Mobile

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3985

"Windows Live Messenger includes one feature I don't get - even after the product manager tried to explain it during the last MVP Summit back in March - and this feature is "contacts sync". Let me explain you what contacts sync does, if you haven't used Windows Live Messenger Mobile yet: Contacts sync synchronizes your Windows Live Messenger buddy list from the Windows Live server to your Windows Mobile device and in worst case it doubles some of your contacts. Let's say you have a contact called Joe User which uses joeuser as his Windows Live Messenger's user name. Then, after the synchronization, you have two contacts in your contacts list - Joe User with all the Outlook details and joeuser with the Windows Live IM E-Mail"

Arne Hess over at The::Unwired sheds some light on a significant risk you face when using Windows Live Messenger Mobile. While the problem isn't described in the quote above, I'm sure it's not hard to guess that it's related to your messenger contacts. Unfortunately, WLMM has this annoying habit of deleting your messenger contacts. You'll have to read Arne's article to find out exactly how he lost all of his contacts twice! I've all but stopped using WLMM because every time I logged in it would tell me I had no contacts online, which I know was incorrect. Maybe that's for the best as I've not suffered the loss of any contacts. I just can't chat with them. Has anyone else had problems with Windows Live Messenger Mobile?