Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Samsung Windows Phones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 PM
abarry
Pupil
Default Push email on WM5 devices

I have a RIM 8700c for almost a year and have become addicted to using it for push email, that now dictates my life. However, I have two issues with it.

First, I can't use it as a BT modem. Second, it not being a WM device, I have to carry a PDA to use several programs I have (especially medical reference books), that are only availabe in a Palm/WM format.

It would therefore seem logical for me to switch to a WM5 based device, like the Samsung i607 or the HTC620 to have the best of both worlds. However, since these WM5 devices don't offer the push email the way a BB does, I am at a loss.

I admit that I don't understand what push email means. As a user, all I know is that email arrives instantly to my BB, even before it does on my Outlook. In addition, it stays put. When I used a WM5 device to get my emails, at first it has to connect to the network and get my emails. What is more disturbing to me is once my WM5 device syncs with the email severs, it wipes away all my previous emails and displays only the new ones.

So, to all the expert readers and contibutors to this forum, here are my three questions:

1. What actually IS "Push EMail"? How is it different from getting email from a WM5 device?

2. If I do get one of the WM5 devices I mentioned above, how do I make sure that when it syncs with email servers, it retains my old and/or read email and only adds any new ones recieved?

3. Is there any service I can use that is like the BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) for my personal email? Would it cost extra or be included in a plan offered by Cingular or T-mobile?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Atul