Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Events

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default No Plans for Zune Outside USA?

http://hardware.silicon.com/pdas/0,39024643,39163800,00.htm

"Microsoft says it has no firm plans to launch the 'iPod killer' Zune digital media player anywhere outside of the US following its official release later this month. Zune will go head-to-head with Apple's iPod when it goes on sale in the US from 14 November, and reports this week claimed the device would not hit the UK until late 2007 or early 2008. But in an interview with silicon.com new Microsoft UK MD Gordon Frazer said there are currently no plans for a UK or global release for Zune. He said: "At this stage we have no firm plans to launch anywhere else globally. Does this mean we'll launch in the UK? I can't tell you when [it will launch] for sure and I can't even necessarily tell you if. We're going to see how this goes in the US and what lessons we learn and see if we get that right, and then make the right decision for the UK. But right now that decision hasn't been made so the launch will only be in the US.""

I understand why, from a marketing perspective, you don't want to start making announcements about launching into new markets that you're months away from getting to, but Microsoft is really sending the wrong message here with the Zune. What they should be saying is "We believe the Zune is a fantastic product, and our goal is to get it launched in as many countries around the world as possible - we can't give you specific dates, but the USA launch is just the beginning". That's a confident, future-looking response. This meek "We don't know if we're ever going to launch anywhere else" response just doesn't cut it. Microsoft needs to be more confident - I know the Zune team is thinking big, so why can't they communicate that properly to the rest of the world (and others at Microsoft for that matter). It's time to be bold!