Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default Steve Jobs Disses Mobile Downloading

http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000180060133/

"MacWorld quotes Steve Jobs splashing cold water on a music download service offered by a cell phone provider. �I�m not convinced that it will be successful. The network providers will charge a lot to download music to a mobile - maybe $3.� Well, he�s right to pronounce doom on high prices."

Ya think? I honestly still don't get listening to music on ones phone. I know one device to carry etc but really. Now you can get a tiny iPod and put 1000 songs on it. Do you really need music on your phone that bad?

Old 09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
jk47
Neophyte

As a guy, I'm not about to buy a european carryall (man-purse) to hold a bunch of electronics when one will do. And it's bad enough I have to stuff headphones in my pocket when I'm not using them...

I have an mpx220 with a 512MB SD card that holds more music then the battery can handle (feel free to insert a joke, but it lasts longer then I need it for). Why would I need an iPod also?

That said, there's no way I'll pay more then $0.99 for a single song, or download it straight to my phone...

Old 09-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I just picked up a Creative Muvo Zen Nano for ~$110. It's about 3/4 the size of a pack of gum. Not especially burdensome. Why?, since I carry a smartphone and a PPC? Because I could care less if the Muvo's battery runs dry. I get a new one when I can at the supermarket. If I fall asleep in the airplane with my cell on, I may not have enough juice to make any calls when I wake up, and am stuck until I can get it charged. With the PPC I'm stuck until I can get it charged and restored.

Downloading songs straight to my portable device though does nothing for me. All my CDs are ripped to my PC (Media Center), and it isn't much effort to copy a set to any of the above devices. I can't imagine needing a song so badly I can't wait till, A) I buy the CD and rip it, B) I get home and download it for $1.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
revolution.cx
Intellectual

Oh come on. With that thinking you should be carrying a Pocket PC for email and pim functions, a cell phone for voice conversations, a pager for receiving text messages and a flashlight for stumbling around at night.

Smartphone's make great music players and the battery life is beyond adequate.

I'm still trying to find a way to integrate my car keys and wallet with my SMT5600!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
subzerohf
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
... Because I could care less if the Muvo's battery runs dry. I get a new one when I can at the supermarket. If I fall asleep in the airplane with my cell on, I may not have enough juice to make any calls when I wake up, and am stuck until I can get it charged. ...
On the other hand, when you're listening to music on your Muvo, would you know it when your phone rings? Even if you do, wouldn't you have to remove one of you ear buds to talk on your phone? The beauty of having your phone double as portable music device is that the music will pause automatically while in call, and resume automatically when the call ends. And you don't have to remove your ear-buds

Battery consumption is a concern, I would bring an extra battery with me on the plane. There is no perfect solution, is there? It is all about what makes you tick.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution.cx
Oh come on. With that thinking you should be carrying a Pocket PC for email and pim functions, a cell phone for voice conversations, a pager for receiving text messages and a flashlight for stumbling around at night
Well I did get rid of the pager. :lol:

Old 09-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution.cx
I'm still trying to find a way to integrate my car keys and wallet with my SMT5600!
Me too. :-)

Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

There is nothing wrong with carrying a few cool devices with you. Get over it!

Old 09-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Chris Hendriks
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Raia
There is nothing wrong with carrying a few cool devices with you. Get over it!
I don't disagree. However, if you have to go anywhere for any length of time it sure is a pain to pack all of those chargers. Convergence will occur.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM
audinik
Neophyte
Default Cry Havoc and let loose the war of words!

Slightly off topic, but related to the whole convergence argument and too funny to not be mentioned in this context:

"Screw the nano [...] Who listens to 1,000 songs?" - Ed Zander, CEO Motorola

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...p;NewsID=12719
(by way of osviews.com)

Uh, well I hate to break it to you Mr. Zander, but some of us like carrying more than 2 albums at a time, especially when we travel.