Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default Alternative Arises to Proposed Ban on Wireless Calls on Planes

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/19/HNwifiplanes_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/19/HNwifiplanes_1.html

"Opposition to a federal proposal to allow wireless phone calls on U.S. airline flights has air carriers and federal regulators considering a less controversial alternative that could still help busy executives turn idle travel time into productive work time: wireless Internet connections. In December, the Federal Communications Commission proposed relaxing its nearly 15-year ban on wireless phone use during U.S. flights. Since then, the agency has received thousands of messages opposing the idea. Travelers, as well as flight attendant groups, claim cell phone use on airplanes would cause fights between passengers talking on the phone and those annoyed by the conversations. Members of Congress have also objected."

I have been hoping for WiFi Internet access on planes for years. I know a few European carriers have it already for trans continental flights. It seems less and less likely now that regular cell phone use will ever be allowed in flight. I have slowly come around to agreeing it wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

They need to offer some sort of cheap connectivity on flights. WiFi would be nice and so would GPRS. I think WiFi is the best option out there right now, and i imagine it won't be too hard to implement.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

No it won't, but I doubt it will be cheap. :cry: