Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default Mobile Industry 'Not Downloading Mobile Content'

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2005/09/009911.htm

"The mobile industry is failing to practice what it preaches, with many of those involved in the sector admitting to rarely downloading content to their mobile phone, according to new research, reports Netimperative. The findings, from mobile payments firm Valista, quizzed over a hundred show attendees at this week's Mobile Content World."

Well this is a shock! I mean with all the wonderful things there are to download! That new turkey iTunes phone won't let you download music even if you could stand the agony of waiting for one tune to finish downloading. Other than news and weather there isn't much worth getting. Then of course there are the reasonable rates most carriers charge for the privilege. I don't consider email or SMS content per se. How much "content" do you download?

Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I will check scores and news items when I am away from home and office, such as at conferences and retreats and such. As for downloading content. Eh. I haven't seen anything all that interesting. The ads for Verizon v-cast are amusing but I can't see the value in downloading snippets of Pamela Anderson, Jon Stewart, or anything else to play on my phone.

Don't get me wrong, I do download content. I download music and videos for the PC and my Zen Micro (and Vision if it ever comes), but I have had a hard time understanding the value of music and video on phones. I recall downloading a game for my phone once, but I think that is it.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Well, I download stuff, but I download it to my computer and then install or transfer the files to my Smartphone. A big part of the reason I do it this way has to do with the quality of the mobile software sites.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Temporale
Well, I download stuff, but I download it to my computer and then install or transfer the files to my Smartphone. A big part of the reason I do it this way has to do with the quality of the mobile software sites.
No question about that. They are sorely lacking!

Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Mark Larson
Theorist

I do download stuff, but not the kind the industry wants me to. I don't download ringtones and i don't download games. Partly because i'm against such restrictive DRM, partly because the value is not there. I've downloaded free ringtones and games, but always to my computer first.