Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Vatican Used SMS to Announce Pope's Death

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2005-04-03T155211Z_01_HOL357011_RTRIDST_0_OUKIN-POPE-INTERNET.XML

"It took just minutes for the Vatican to alert the world's media of Pope John Paul's death -- using text messages and email so the 2,000-year-old Church could meet the new demands of real-time news. Just a quarter of an hour after the Pope was pronounced dead on Saturday at 9:37 p.m. (8.37 p.m. British time), the Vatican sent journalists an SMS message alerting them to a pending statement. Television networks across the globe were already on standby a minute later when the email communique was beamed to a sea of state-of-the-art handheld computers, purchased by journalists at the suggestion of the Vatican. "The Holy father died this evening at 21:37 in his private apartment," it said, in a simple Word document."

Hey, wait a second, I never got that SMS! :wink: On a serious note, it's very interesting to see the adoption of technology and it can be used for more than just chatting with friends and cheating on exams. Anyone know of other places where SMS is being used to get the message out? And I'm not just referring to religion, I'm talking about any good non-spam use. :wink: