Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Emergency Phone Numbers on Locked Handsets

If you see this screen on your Smartphone, then you're one small button push away from emergency assistance. Did you know that you are able to dial 911 even when the keypad is locked? And I'm not talking about the advanced pass-code locking. Using the basic method of holding down the End key to lock your handset. Why is this a big deal, you may be asking. I'll tell you. My daughter, who is almost 3 years old, took my cellphone out of my coat pocket the other night and was pretending to call her friends. I just happened to notice the screen had 911 plastered at the top of it. Acting quickly, I was able to prevent another accidental 911 call by my daughter. ops: So be careful of your handset, even if you've locked the keys. The emergency workers are busy enough. :wink:

I wouldn't mind seeing this feature turned off. I really don't like the idea of any keys working while the handset is locked. However, I do understand why it is designed this way.