Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Finally - VOIP that Really Works!

http://www.skype.com

Completely off-topic, but I wanted to share with you all a very exciting program that a friend told me about last week. It's called Skype, and it was created by the makers of KaZaA - but it's not for file sharing, it's for voice chatting. There are three things that make Skype extremely impressive to me:

The voice quality is amazing - it's better than phone quality, and upon my first use the quality of my friends voice was so high is sounded like he was in the room with me. It was actually kind of eerie. :worried:

The software uses port 80, so it slips through firewalls without hassle, which means end users behind firewalls don't need to reconfigure ports. In fact, there's no configuration at all - it even dynamically selects the best voice codec for you depending on your bandwidth.

Most impressive of all, it works flawlessly from behind a NAT (network address translation) layer, meaning that those of us behind routers and gateways can actually use it.

They also have plans for having Skype dial regular land-line phones, and I've emailed them to ask about a Smartphone version - wouldn't that be cool? The beta is free, but they'll eventually charge for the software and possibly a subscription-based service. Assuming they don't screw up a really great idea by charging too much for it per month, Skype could become the "next big thing". Check it out!

Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 PM
bmarkman
Neophyte
Default Fabulous....at first glance

This appears to be the real deal. Spoke to someone in South Korea the other day, it seemed like he was in the room with me. No clips, garbled speech, etc.... This will be great once it gets to the smartphone (or for that matter to POTS)..... :roll:

Old 11-13-2003, 06:42 AM
ShivShanks
Intellectual
Default Re: Fabulous....at first glance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarkman
This appears to be the real deal. Spoke to someone in South Korea the other day, it seemed like he was in the room with me. No clips, garbled speech, etc.... This will be great once it gets to the smartphone (or for that matter to POTS)..... :roll:
Thats nice although if you think about it thats not so unbelievable. After all South Korea is the most wired nation in the world so should have good broadband links to allow this. Since broadband links can do 300kbps video easily, voice should be a piece of cake since you can do very good quality audio at less than 20kbps. Now I would be really impressed if someone has tried this to some of the less broadband enabled parts of the world and still experienced the same quality levels and good service. For now I shudder when I think of VOIP to any international location like that due to all the lag and bad quality that I've seen (heard actually).

Old 11-13-2003, 07:12 AM
ShivShanks
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivShanks
voice should be a piece of cake since you can do very good quality audio at less than 20kbps
Okay before someone jumps on me I should qualify that you can do very good quality spoken audio at 20kbps and not anything music related

Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
koriel
Pupil

You managed to get my mouth watering with the idea of a version for smartphone. All you would need is a working wi-fi SD card and then I could sit near a convenient hotspot and never pay a cent in phone calls .... sweeet! :lol:

Old 11-13-2003, 03:42 PM
squirrelist
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by koriel
You managed to get my mouth watering with the idea of a version for smartphone. All you would need is a working wi-fi SD card and then I could sit near a convenient hotspot and never pay a cent in phone calls .... sweeet! :lol:
Or even better, pay Verizon for unlimited PDA data and get unlimited worldwide calling for $49.99, plus a small charge for calls to non-Skype users. Daytime minutes would be old news.

Or $20 (or was it $30?) for unlimited data from T-Mobile

Old 11-13-2003, 04:43 PM
trachy
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarkman
Can you speak at the same time, or is it still like a walkie-talkie? It's been a while since I've given VOIP a try.

Old 11-13-2003, 05:21 PM
bmarkman
Neophyte

Quote:
Can you speak at the same time, or is it still like a walkie-talkie? It's been a while since I've given VOIP a try.
[/quote]

It's in real time..... I suppose that voip on a broadband connection would imply high quality, after all, Vonage has been doing this for sometime, but not P2P. The real test is through a 56K connection. HAs anyone tried it?

Old 11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
qmrq
Thinker

http://teamspeak.org/

Old 07-31-2004, 02:08 AM
Ramin
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Ramin
Default Re: Finally - VOIP that Really Works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
They also have plans for having Skype dial regular land-line phones, and I've emailed them to ask about a Smartphone version - wouldn't that be cool?
As you may already know... Skype for Pocket PC is now available! :way to go:

Skype is using Public Mind to collect our suggestions, so please visit this request page, and tell Skype to prioritize the development of Skype for Smartphone. 8)