Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop & Netbook Hardware > Other Laptops & Netbooks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson
Default Acer Aspire Ultrabook S3: Hands-On

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/02/...ok-s3-hands-on/

"If you haven't heard, Acer's gone and (officially) jumped on the Ultrabook bandwagon, announcing the 13mm-thin Aspire S3. We're here live at IFA in Berlin and just got some much-anticipated hands-on time. At the press conference that just wrapped, we were treated to a raft of promises -- seven-hour battery life, 1.5 seconds to resume from sleep, two to connect to a wireless network and "no compromise" performance courtesy of ultra low voltage Core i3, i5 and i7 processors."

A bit of a Jekyll and Hyde ultraportable, with a solid magnesium-alloy unibody exterior, but a cheesy plastic-like keyboard, that, fortunately, performs better than it looks and feels. With the promise of great battery life (standby of 50 days - really?), quick response when returning from sleep, and two seconds to connect to a wireless network, hopefully the production models will live up to the hype. No word yet on availability in North America, but the European prices are said to start at €799.