Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Richard76
Intellectual
Default Outlook Sync Alternative???

Ok, so this roller coaster ride called Windows Phone 7 is quickly coming to a crashing halt for me. I work for a small company that does not have an Exchange Server or BES. I am a satellite office and have always relied on MS Outlook for interaction with my business contacts (2,000+), calendar, tasks and notes. I sync daily with my WinMo 6.5 phone. I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of WP7 but.......no direct sync with Outlook kills it for me.

At this point I can not even consider the WP7/Outlook/Windows Live with Outlook Hotmail Connector setup to replace what I am doing. I think my only alternative is a hosted Exchange account but I do not know much about them. This is what I want/need.

Manage my company POP email coming into Outlook (as it is now), both directly in Outlook on my PC and on my new (?) WP7 device. Always showing my emails came from my POP business account (when sending new or replying). Syncing any changes made on either back to the other, including contacts and calendar (I know I will have to make other decisions on tasks and notes).

Any assistance on this issue would be greatly appreciated as I am really trying hard to like Windows Phone 7. And so far I love the devices but this Outlook issue is a deal-breaker for me.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
RayBent
Neophyte
Default No Answers

That�s a shame, I guess there really isn�t an answer judging from the responses.
I�m like you when it comes to using Outlook for everything, but mostly for my personal life as well as work. Well like I said everything. I do love the WP7 system but the Outlook issues really puzzles me and why don�t they allow direct sync to my personal computer without putting everything out there with windows live/Zune. I would even settle for an app that could sync my task list to the phone.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

Agreed. I even got my hopes up when I read that CompanionLink is working on a solution as I have used this in the past to sync ACT->Outlook->WinMo and it worked beautifully. However, first they can't sync tasks or memos (but they are working on a solution) and second, their current model does so through the Gmail cloud.

And, as Jason so eloquently pointed out, it is indeed ironic that if you take WinMo 6.5 and prior out of the picture, the most competent sync strategy available for my circumstances is iOS (albeit through MobileMe).