Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android News

Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Army Goes Android!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/201...e-john-maddens/

"The Army is 20 years and a half-billion dollars into a star-crossed effort to build custom communications and digital-mapping gadgets for its soldiers. Special Operations Command, on the other hand, is taking a simpler approach: They're planning to use Android phones. Last week, the SOCOM asked coders to create a suite of applications for keeping commandos linked up while they're out on missions. The software should include chat functions, file transfers, video display and "multi-touch whiteboarding aka John Madden tool." SOCOM calls it the Tactical Situational Awareness Application Suite, or TactSA, and it has to work in low-connectivity areas - the middle-of-nowhere places you'd expect to send the military's most elite troops. It's got to be peer-to-peer, encrypted "at the application level" and able to recover from "network outages and substantial packet loss." But rather than go the Army route and custom-build hardware, SOCOM is happy to use off-the-shelf gadgetry. It's the software that interests them more."

I guess it's telling - first you see your brother-in-law (who is a 1LT currently in Afghanistan) using a Droid at Christmas time, and before long he's convinced his entire company to adopt Android! Seriously, Android makes a logical choice for the Army: They can control the entire operating system, since it's open source, and build exactly what they need. Not a bad idea - let the hardware be off-the-shelf, program all the software!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

My brother in law is an IT guy in the military, and I can tell that he is very frustrated with them for overlooking open-source software. All of their workstations run Windows Vista, which is sad considering that Linux is free and capable of being far more secure.

The military using Android handsets? I think it's a fantastic idea.

He too is being deployed to Iraqistan only a few days from now.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Crane View Post
My brother in law is an IT guy in the military, and I can tell that he is very frustrated with them for overlooking open-source software. All of their workstations run Windows Vista, which is sad considering that Linux is free and capable of being far more secure.
I can understand windows on a desktop simply for compatibility issues. The DoD holds MS up to some high standards in the OS so it can be used in military applications, which in a sense it can't enforce on the mobile platform unless it's built from the ground up.

Open-source, though, if entirely built and managed from the ground up, makes a pretty convincing argument as long as the overall costs don't get higher than using commercial closed-source solutions.

Jon.