Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: I love my smartphone, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmikev
Blackberry is the device to beat in power consumption, features and reliability.
Absolutely...I also love the color screen on the newer 7100 BlackBerry.

Quote:
1) Where is the remote kill command for wireless devices?
I have heard about carrier's planning to offer this feature. But have not seen it happen. I would love to have this standard on my Smartphone.

Quote:
2) AUTD is flawed because it's based on SMS wake-up messages to be received by the client.
I wonder what kind of sync functionality the next version of Exchange will have.

Quote:
3) The fact that there's no key exchange between the server/wireless device means that the device has been written to accept incoming commands to sync from any sender that inputs the correct string of characters in the body. ... MS has used SSL to make up for the over-the-wire encryption, but I think they've missed the point of how much more key exchange and ID verification could open up for them.
I never realized this.

Quote:
4) Attachment handling - The Blackberry attachment service handles a WIDE array of files.
When Pocket PCs were launched, Microsoft had an edge in this topic. But over the years Microsoft has not done much to improve the viewers and left it to the third party vendors. And on the Smartphone its all third party.

Quote:
5) Email receipt verification - The BB server is able to track on a message by message level whether the device has received an update or not.

I guess the reason why I don't carry the BB is because I don't need always on e-mail. I need a phone, that looks like a phone, feels like a phone and works like a phone. And can do lots of cool stuff. ;-)