Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadegboye View Post
I have been using windows phone for more than 10 yrs
But, you see, you haven't been using Windows Phone. That's only been out for a little over a year. It is a radically new paradigm, nothing to do with PocketPC or Windows Mobile. (I too started with MS handhelds even before getting the very first available PPC, the HP Jornada back in 2000)

There are things that Windows Phone doesn't do at this point, but I wouldn't characterize them as failures. It isn't as though they tried and couldn't get it to work. There are things that are important to particular segments, but not all and, the prioritization of what was provided and what was defferred was likely a tough, but considered decision. Unfortunately folks who are missing something are always louder than those that are satisfied, so omissions are much more visible than capabilities.

Better is a personal decision/perception. It may mean having what all your friends have, having the latest, the one with the best specs on paper, or doing those things you need to do really well. I can find lots of areas in which WP competes well and even exceeds the capabilities/experience over other OSs/phones. I can of course find areas in which it doesn't.

I get there are significant differences in the WM6.5 and WP7 feature set. There are things I missed, or thought I would miss, and complained about too. I've gotten over it. Of course there are things others can't get over, and I get that too. This is not an 'upgrade' though, it is a new product. Whether it works for an individual or not needs to be evaluated independently against the other options. If it doesn't for you, so be it. For many though, the fact that it exists and isn't Windows Mobile needs to be promoted.