Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
They {OEMs} are dictated to as to what the hardware must be , how many buttons there can be, and what they must do. They are told when updates are done, and they must do them. They aren't allowed to change the interface in any way.
I'm not sure that has to be a problem. Sure, they can have more fun with Android, but that also dilutes the experience and complicates the engineering/manufacturing. If I could get everyone to buy Model A, why would I want to make three models to spread amongst the same buyers? Apple has done reasonably well with a single model. I think there is enough leeway for the OEMs to differentiate; keyboards, cameras, screen types, weight, battery life; to allow choice, without the 'fragmentation' that is hurting Android, and had a hand in killing Windows Mobile. Maybe I'm wrong here and they like churing out device after device. At least Nokia has shown you can apply some style to the problem.

So, what is the difference between Apple, which has one model (basically), Android which is sported on 26 models at AT&T alone and Windows Phone? Some people know they want an iPhone when they walk into the store. Same with a Droid (of whatever flavor). But what's a Microsoft phone? They make phones? Oh, a Windows Phone...I don't want that, I have Windows on my PC and it's too hard. Then you have to get passed the salespeople and store managers, that for whatever reason, don't seem to want to sell Windows Phones.

What needs to change is the perception, and that is marketing, pure and simple. You can debate forever on whether 'Windows' was the right label to saddle the device with. There are pro and con arguments, but that is what it is. I honestly don't know what the answer or approach should be, but getting the public to be aware of Windows Phone and what it provides is job one.