Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus
Default For Now, Unwired Means Unlisted. That May Change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/30/technology/30cell.html?ex=1095134400&en=1246dba4b081d1bb&ei=5070

"In October, most major cellphone carriers plan to start compiling a publicly accessible listing of wireless phone numbers.

"Being listed in the new cellphone directory will be strictly voluntary, reflecting an increasing tension in today's digital world. New technologies and gadgets make people easily accessible any time, in the remotest of locations. At the same time, users of the new gadgets are becoming far more guarded about who gets to reach out and touch them."

This will come as good news for all the folks who have decided to dump the land line and switch over to the wireless phone. Now they can have the cell phone number listed in the 411 directory, so that family and friends can find them. But for folks who have both, the land line and the wireless connection, it is time to sit back and think whether or not to signup. Luckily in my case the decision was easy. I am surely not going to get my number listed on the cell phone white pages. My cell phone is the means for me to reach out to the civilization when I need to, and only my family and close friends know the number. No one else needs to know about it. Another interesting point, the largest US carrier Verizon Wireless has not yet agreed to have its customers listed in the mobile white pages. :? What are your thoughts? Will you have your number listed?

Note: Free Registration is required to read this New York Times news article.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:54 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

They can get my number when the pry it from my cold dead hands - :lol:

No way am I going to list my mobile number out there. If I want someone to call me - I'll give them the number - and get this - I HAVE cut the cord (land line). The last thing I want is telemarketers getting my mobile number...

Old 09-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

I feel that this Mobile 411 White Pages concept or plan was started by tele-marketeers. They know that now in US more and more people are owning a mobile device. And a lot of people have dumped their land-lines.

The whole idea about being to able to let family and friends find you if you put your mobile number on the 411 directory is not convincing. :wink:

Old 09-14-2004, 10:16 PM
MobileRob
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kumar
I feel that this Mobile 411 White Pages concept or plan was started by tele-marketeers. They know that now in US more and more people are owning a mobile device. And a lot of people have dumped their land-lines.

The whole idea about being to able to let family and friends find you if you put your mobile number on the 411 directory is not convincing. :wink:
Very good point. I do NOT want telemarketers to get my number.

Rob.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:46 PM
ShivShanks
Intellectual

Quote:

While I hate telemarketers as much as everyone else, that simply isn't true. Telemarketers were never legally able to call you on your cell even before the federal do-not-call list. Quite simply because you pay for even incoming calls and it was illegal for them to do telemarketing when you pay for it. In fact haven't you noticed that it was strange that they would never call you on your cell phone (modulo genuine mistakes) and most places which wanted personal information would want your home phone number. That's because they could easily telemarket on those home phones and not mobile phones.

This plan has quite simple been launched by some mobile operators et al who want to make money out of 411 directory services by making you pay for finding out the number of your long lost friend or some business contact you need to reach.

And yes I agree with everyone else that I will never voluntarily allow my phone number to be listed. Over my dead body! :roll:

Be very careful and afraid if they make this listing opt-out instead of opt-in. Opt-out means that they will chnage their terms and conditions (which they can do at any time) and by default they will list you unless you actively call to opt out. Opt-in means that you have to call in to be listed. Don't be surprised if you get a boring terms and conditions letter in the mail and it enables this with an opt-out. Kudos to Verizon for doing the right thing to stay away from this. Once again shows something good that Verizon is doing. All I can say to the other mobile operators is: Sneaky B@stards!

Old 09-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivShanks
Be very careful and afraid if they make this listing opt-out instead of opt-in. Opt-out means that they will chnage their terms and conditions (which they can do at any time) and by default they will list you unless you actively call to opt out. Opt-in means that you have to call in to be listed. Don't be surprised if you get a boring terms and conditions letter in the mail and it enables this with an opt-out. Kudos to Verizon for doing the right thing to stay away from this. Once again shows something good that Verizon is doing. All I can say to the other mobile operators is: Sneaky B@stards!
Thanks ShivShanks. We can always count on you for the alternative viewpoint. :lol: I had fogotten about the incoming call charges associated with the cell phones. But won't 411 database also include the our home/business address if we Opt-in? So what prevents the carriers from selling this information and making money from tele-marketeers. And they in turn use the list to send snail mail specific to mobile users. Like a coupon for $2 Antenna Booster. :lol:

I agree about the Opt-in vs. Opt-out. Have to be careful.

Verizon, well couldn't it be that VZ wants a better cut in the whole deal.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:51 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Can you imagine being at a client meeting, or out to dinner with the family when your cell phone goes off. It's a telemarketer trying to sell you on having your ducts cleaned! :twak: :roll:

My cell phone is with me 24/7. If it rings, I know that a client is in trouble, or a family / friend is looking for me. I can screen my calls easily thanks to custom ringtones and caller id. If I don't recgonize the name, or if there isn't one, chances are it's a client. However, with this, it could also be a telemarketer. :evil:

Old 09-15-2004, 05:46 AM
rbrome
Intellectual
Default Re: For Now, Unwired Means Unlisted. That May Change.

Quote:
...Another interesting point, the largest US carrier Verizon Wireless has not yet agreed to have its customers listed in the mobile white pages. :? ...
Of course not. This is Verizon we're talking about here.

Ever heard of Verizon SuperPages? Verizon is in the telephone-number-listing business, so like any good monopolistic corporation, they will only let their customers list their mobile numbers by PAYING to have their mobile number listed with Verizon SuperPages, instead of letting them opt-in to a free service accessible by all.

It's kind of like how you can use the phones on planes (AirFone) for really cheap, but ONLY IF you're a Verizon Wireless customer.

...and if you have Verizon Online DSL, you don't need to also pay for a phone line and dial tone, but ONLY IF you're a Verizon Wireless customer.

Nice, right? :evil:

(And as others have pointed out - the telemarketing paranoia is nonsense - it's illegal.)

Old 09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Some more good news.
Quote:
The Senate Commerce Committee voted yesterday to require cell phone companies to get the approval of individual customers before listing their wireless phone numbers in public directories
And the carriers are not too happy with the legislation.
Quote:
The wireless industry was quick to criticize the Commerce Committee's vote yesterday, saying it was an attempt to regulate a service before it has even been launched. "It is unnecessary for the government to dictate best practices on a competitive industry with such a stellar record.
And here is the funniest statement made by the carriers..
Quote:
This is a service that many of our consumers are demanding...

Old 09-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
And here is the funniest statement made by the carriers..
Quote:
This is a service that many of our consumers are demanding...
:rotfl: