Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Ed Bott doesn't like something that isn't manufactured or in some way connected to Redmond?

Stunning.

Also added to the same list of stunning:

Water is wet.
Ice is cold.
Fire is hot.
Rocks are hard.

I have to say Ed Bott is one of the most untrustworthy sources of anything. He's about as useless as Rob Enderle.

His criticisms here are so meaningless that they're laughable. Chromebooks fit the use case for so many people that it's idiotic to argue they're worthless; people just have to try one and most of the time it'll fit them.

Remember the iPhone? Bott wasn't keen on it and said no one would buy the original because it didn't have Flash and apps. He even told people to buy the extended warranty because it would be riddled with hardware issues. He also argued that soft keyboards would mark the iPhone's demise. Yeah, that happened, Ed. Not only did Apple do well with a soft keyboard, but every single manufacturer did the same thing. Way to go!

(He revised the Flash comment eventually, and by eventually I mean in 2010; 3 years later).

FAIL.

He didn't like the iPad either, but he did praise its use of apps over MS's basically unused Tablet PC platform. If I remember correctly he pointed out on Twit that it would be a flop and Apple would do well to learn from Microsoft's failing in the space.

To date, there are millions of iPads out there and every company is knocking them off trying to be the next "us too" tablet provider.

FAIL.

He's been saying for YEARS that some big outbreak of Apple malware is going to happen. YEARS. Every year, it's "next year" and "soon." Every once in awhile when he's up against a deadline and needs a linkbaiting story, he writes about Apple's lax security and future of being as riddled with malware as Windows machines. To date, there are ZERO exploits out there, save for a few that require a user to download an app, install it, run it, and ignore the OSX password prompt, and the "downloaded application warning." Frankly, if you're that determined to get malware on your own system, what OS will stop you?

FAIL.

I know Windows folks love Ed Bott, and that's fine, but that man hasn't been right about pretty much anything in years. He's Rob Enderle with better credentials, and he linkbaits people into reposting his tripe. He's the Daniel Erran Dilger of the Windows world. Or maybe the John Gruber of the Windows World, only slightly (and I do mean slightly) less detestable.