Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Are You Disconnecting This Summer?

It is so easy in our mobile lifestyle to check in on things when we should be relaxing. With wireless sync, push/pull email, WiFi hot-spots popping up all around, it becomes hard to know when work stops, and private time begins. How do you turn off the outside world?

I've got some vacation coming up, and we are heading off to the cottage. Which will include lots of lounging on the beach, sipping some summer drinks :wink:, swimming in the lake, maybe a motorboat/canoe trip on the lake, and of course building sand castles with the kids. It also means no mobile coverage, and no high-speed internet. 8O I will have dialup, but I'm lucky if I can get better than 36K connection. :cry: This is how I am going to disconnect this summer. What about all of you, any plans to unplug from the internet?

Old 07-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Here's a couple pictures I snapped at the cottage last summer. I love the reflection on the canoe in the second picture. If you've got pictures of your last disconnected session, share them with us!

Click image for a larger version

Click image for a larger version

Old 07-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Neil
Ponderer

I'm always disconnected when I go on vacation, even if it's just a little two-day trip. That's my whole point to going away! Here's one pic from when I went home to visit my parents:

Old 07-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Thanks to ubiquity of wireless technology, one needs to have a lot of Will Power. Something that I totally lack :-) I think I have some kind of a disease. Is there a doctor in the house?

Some of my friends comment that I might get cured (in a rather painful manner I am guessing) when I get married ;-)

So I have no photos to share..I lead a very dull life...roaming around the Wireless Infohighway :-(

Old 07-24-2004, 08:03 PM
wirelessbeachbum
Ponderer

I live on the coast and try to hit the beach a couple of times a week...my biggest problem is trying to stay connect while there...Verizon coverage is fine, I just have not found a good solution for wind noise.

Someday I'll get an implanted bluetooth earpiece and not have to worry about that....of course I'll have to spring for the extra wide screen adaptor for your optical nerve.

Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I'll be going on a little vacation in a couple of weeks and will be in the BC area. Fido's coverage inside major cities is great, but I have my doubts there will be connectivity to and from where I'm going. That's a good thing though - I actually enjoy being disconnected now and then. I don't, however, really ever "unplug" - I'll be bringing my laptop, Pocket PC, and Smartphone with me. The plan is for my wife to do most of the driving while I plug away on some reviews and articles on the laptop. Thankfully I find writing reviews quite relaxing, so for me, that IS a vacation. ;-)