Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Old 03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Thanks Lee,
I've gone with Springpad myself. I'm using using it very heavy now but I like what I see.

I still can't believe no one has an opinion on Google services versus Live services.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Well, to be honest, there isn't anything compelling in WP7 at this point to recommend WLS over Google. You would think SkyDrive and Office hub would nail it, but unfortunately...no. Yes there is an Office hub, but without Exchange and Sharepoint, and 2010 to boot, you have to go to Skydrive via IE to get your documents (other than OneNote), and once on the device, there is no way to put them back. Don't have Live messenger on the device. Hotmail does work great. Using Exchange AS it is like being hooked to an Exchange server with push, folders and everything.

Don't know how Google's stuff integrates on Google's phone, but MS's stuff doesn't work any better than Google's stuff on MS's phone. Yet.

Have you tried opening the Web based OneNote on your Nexus?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Have you tried opening the Web based OneNote on your Nexus?
When I log in to Live.com I can't even find OneNote. To be honest I can't find any of them. When i go to office it just directs me to My Documents. I suppose I could check to see if I could open a pre-existing Onenote document, but if I can only read then it doesn't have much point for me.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

One Note is very functional, read, write, add pages, delete, whatever. It also syncs with the Office Live copy, and that one with your desktop copy if you wish. OneNote does what the entire Office Suite should do with Skydrive. Try going to Skydrive.live.com and see if you can't get to your office web stuff there. I actually find it works much better if you have IE set to default to mobile mode than desktop. Too much pinching/zooming/scrolling in desktop.

Note there is one specific Notebook setup to sync, Personal (Web) that is set up to start. You can get others to sync but need to create them in the cloud and open them the first time from Skydrive it seems.

Sadly OneNote on iPhone syncs just as well with that same Cloud based Notebook.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

OneNote documents are even worse for me. They don't render at all in the browser like Word and Powerpoint docs. When I selects it it attempts to download. Which ultimately fails.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Hmm, wonder why. Do you have the browser set to mobile? I've demo'd to a couple of folks, creating a new NoteBook on a PC (in web apps) getting to it on the phone via IE/skydrive, and sucking it down into the Office Hub. It didn't try to open in the browser (unless I was in desktop view), and the download just worked.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Sven,
What kind of device are you using? I don't have IE.
I remember looking this up awhile ago and Android's browser wasn't officially supported for the web apps.

I found this article on answers.microsoft.com