Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

It's the lack of a large internal storage capability which I think will prolong the life of netbooks and/or notebooks. the iPad's 64GB is a fair amount, but it is by no means even close to what I have on my notebook hard drive. Granted, I don't need all of those files on any given day, but I DO need to have them all in one place when I DO need them.

More and more iPad users are becoming comfortable with "in the cloud" storage and access systems, but IMO until utilization of such systems becomes ubiquitous, there will always be a need for the convenience and familiarity of having everything right under your fingertips, as with a netbook/or notebook.

BTW, I do have a neat setup by which a 1.5TB backup drive is connected to my home network and is accessible by me anywhere in the world via the PogoPlug service, even using my iPhone [I can, for example, find a specific report to give to a recruiter during an out-of-town job interview simply using my iPhone.]. It always works seamlessly, flawlessly and smoothly. If cloud storage were always THAT smooth, I'd probably temper some of my skepticism about the need for more traditional storage and access.

Last edited by Brad Adrian; 07-28-2010 at 05:02 AM..